Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawkens Muzzleloader?

Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hawkens Muzzleloader?

i take my muzzleoader out way before deer season every year.i try to get where i can see some deer .i use close-pin as a flint.i pull up on birds freehand,groundhogs, rabbits,stumps,and deer. i then squezze off.i use a sling around my wrist also.without the sling, i could not steady my muzz offhand to hit anything.i also sit in front of tv and watch deer shows and squeeze trigger.i killed 7 nice buck last week on outdoor channel.you can sometimes squezze off in woods 4 or 5 times before deer will see you.its good practice,the deer turns, you squeeze,he turns again, aim at neck etc. this is why most are now going to in-lines here in my area. they cant hit a deer if they tried. most dont practice for whatever reasons. most want meat.me, at times i think i am only one out there carrying a flintlock. they look at me like i am nuts in rifle season seeing me carrying that hawkins in woods.i love it. using rifle would be too easy for me, been there done that.sadly, the fun is leaving now. crossbows are norm now, i use recurve martin hunter.i use flintlock, most use in-line or rifle 7mm rem mag.i use .22 cal on my rabbits, most use 12 gauge. i use 20 gauge regular sheels on turkey, most use 12 gauge and 3 and 1/2 inch shells, ouch.i guess i am something that is going to be fossil soon but you know, i have a heck of fun time hunting,most i see are not and are driven by meat.i had 9 coyotes last year and hope to get a crack at one with muzz this year. i was real close last year but they are tricky.take care.