Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud ring location?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crud ring location?

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Use a cooler priimer like Winchester/Triple Se7en 209s or Remington Kleanbore 209.

Switch to 777 FFF loose powder .. it's smaller/cleaner - thus a tad softer fouling.

Get yourself a palm-saver or T-Handle device for the end of your ramrod. Gives you more powder to push/more leverage for loading bullets.

Use a bore brush instead of a jag for swabbing. Then use the jag for seating the bullet. I always take two ramrods to the range. Keep your patches wet to the touch & turn the ramrod clockwise a revolution or three when you reach the bore-bottom -- for better cleaning of the crud area - then clean with up & down strokes.
I have tried the cooler primers that I could find. I just found some Tripple Seven ones to trynext. All the swabbing between shots is fine at the range but when hunting just does not go over with me. I found in my rifle that I had to use the bronze brush as a patch would not remove the crud ring from 777. I know my rifle apparently is one of the worst ones for crud ring and other Omega owners do not have the problem as severe. Strange??
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

The first shot was 90gr. Black Mag'3 and a Hornady 300gr. SST. The follow up shot was a 295gr. copper clad aerotip Powerbelt. Both bullets were complete pass through and the holes on the exit side were about the same size as a fifty cent piece. I am going to try some heavier bullets this year as I got drawn for antlerless elk again and there are now more bullets to chose from. I may try the deadcenter 390gr. bullets and maybe the 348 powerbelt as a follow-up as they load a lot easier as a second shot. I think I will still stick with the Black Mag'3 unless my trials show me something better. I bought some Goex Pinnacle to try also. If no bone is hit the 300gr. bullets are probably as effective as heavier ones as long as they go completely through.
I really do think that it was your first shot that counted. The second shot,though itwould definitely kill the cow, would have allowed her to go alot further than 1/2 mile before having to stop. Even with your pursuit, she had to go from flight to fight because the lung shot was rapidly killing her, allowing you to shoot her in the head.

There is a school of thought, not saying it is truer or better than your thoughts on the matter, that additional shooting and rapid pursuit can make recovery more difficult. It may be possible that had you refrained from the second shot and pursuit, that the cow may not have run as far it did. When lethally wounded in the lungs, especially well placed in the lungs, game quickly begins to drown in its own blood. Generally, the effect of this is to cause the animal to "wind" and when this happens they will most often stop as soon as they "feel" safe enough to. Where they stop, is generally where they die.

You were able to head shoot the elkon the third shotbecause she was so weak from loss of blood and drowning lungs that she couldn't run any more. Fleeing was no longer an option for her and she had to stand her ground. I've heard that elk can be dangerous, as can moose, when they must stay put. She may have died "right there" even had you not shot her in the head.

As crazy as all this sounds, even though you put three shots in her, it seems that it was that first shot which really counted.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 08-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Typical Buck

You are probably right. I know once the adrenaline started working for the cow she seemed to become stronger as time went on. If I had better confidence in the first shot I probably would not have taken the second one. The first shot was through some brush and about my maximum distance so the confidence was not as good as it should have been. It was one of those "take the shot- don't take the shot" and when it looked the best I couldn't wait any longer and had to take it. It was coming to the end of my hunt and I needed the meat. It all worked out in the end but the kill was not the way I like them.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

You are probably right. I know once the adrenaline started working for the cow she seemed to become stronger as time went on. If I had better confidence in the first shot I probably would not have taken the second one. The first shot was through some brush and about my maximum distance so the confidence was not as good as it should have been. It was one of those "take the shot- don't take the shot" and when it looked the best I couldn't wait any longer and had to take it. It was coming to the end of my hunt and I needed the meat. It all worked out in the end but the kill was not the way I like them.
It all worked out great. Your elk was harvested and you did that as humanely as one can. As you said, elk are tough animals,and while they are "dead already" the moment a projectile begins to tunnel a 1" hole through both lungs, it takes time for the wound to do its thing on them.To be perfectly honest, I"know" I would have done the same had I not had 100%confidence in my first shot. Given that the shot was through cover at the far end of my range, I wouldn't not have had 100% confidence in the shot. In any event, it was a great first shot, which not only counted,but alsomade the harvest possible.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

kathwacckkk: Just a thought about your brother's idea of dropping 3 pellets in for the 2nd shot - what about three 30 gr pellets? I don't know if the total length would be longer or not, but you might check it out. They would be 10 gr less powerful than your 2-50 grainers, but might still be good enough for a 2nd shot, and not maxxing out your rifle.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duringmy Powerbelt shooting days, I recall 80 grains being a nice volume to use. So why not try (1) 50 gr. pellet and (1) 30 gr. pellet?

Less powder - changing to FFF and the weakest 209 primers have pretty-much eliminated any 777 crud ring in my Omega. Adding a third 50 gr. pellet will make matters worse - not better!