Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

having muzzle loader trouble

Old 11-05-2002, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default having muzzle loader trouble

have any of you that own a 50 caliber knight disc rifle had any trouble grouping them i have tried every thing i've cleaned every shot and i've shot it 4 or 5 times and not cleaned and no groups what so ever what do you guys think.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:46 AM

Default RE: having muzzle loader trouble

Need More Info:
Bullets?
Powder/Charge?
Sights/scope?

Old 11-05-2002, 09:38 AM
bigcountry

I don't know about your situation or experience with muzzleloaders. But the guys I see getting these 7" groups are the ones that take their rod and slap it on the bullet about 4 times and end up breaking up the pellets and deforming the bullets. So I suggested a agitated shooter not to do that and he did it my way by putting the sabot at the same position every time and not using bore butter on sabots and got 2" groups at 100 yards. Might not be the situation here, but just an observation.

Old 11-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

nikon scope 100 grains of triple 7 hornady 245 grain bullets and i have tried every powder bullet on the market and still no groups and i load my gun the same way everytime and i'm not rough with it

Old 11-05-2002, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

Still very little information. What size are you looking for? Groups that is. Have you tried varying the powder. I am not sure what you are asking if you have tried everything as you said.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

If you are removing the breech plug each time you clean it that could be the problem. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine last year. Now he only pulls the breech plug after season is over to clean it. It takes more time to clean it that way but he went from 4" groups at 100 yards to 1.5" groups.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:56 PM

Consistancy and small increments are the key.
Let me recommend that you take whatever bullet/sabot combo you have,
Start with the powder you have and start at say 80grns.
Clean the barrel, dry it and load your first set.
Make sure the sabot (w/o any lube) is seated on the powder
DO NOT TAMP the rod steady firm pressure. Try and get some kind of group with this, then experiment with the charge in 5 grn steps
and see what you can do. I had really bad results with power belts
and had to switch to a sabot round. You could check with the manufacturer for a recommended round, you also might want to
bring it to a gunsmith to check the rifling and crown
Good luck and keep us posted

Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you say you're having trouble getting it to group, does that mean it's scattering shots all over the target, or that the groups are just too big for your taste (and if so, how big are they)?

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Traditions Buckhunter that wouldn't group at all at 100 yards. Shooting at a cardboard covered pallet it would put shots at random all over the target with the 240 grain Hornady XTP Sabots. My dad happened to have some 460 grain Great Plains conicals with him. I loaded them up with 100 grains of Pyrodex Select and shot a 1.5" 3 shot group right off the bat (I got lucky).

Muzzleloaders seem to be very picky eaters sometimes. My Traditions will only shoot heavy conicals. My Knight DISC shoots 235 grain .40cal QT's very well, but not the 300 grain PTX .45 cal sabots (1-2" groups vs. 3-4" groups).

Just a matter of finding out what your rifle likes.

I do have to ask too, are you shooting off of a rest or freehand? I don't want to insult your intelligence, but I've seen guys try to sight in a scope shooting offhand and blame the rifle. Shoot from a stable benchrest until the rifle groups point-of-aim/point-of-impact. THEN practice from the freehand shooting positions.

Good luck,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

deer hunter21,

The advice to drop down to 80gr & work up is right on the mark. 100gr of 777 is way too hot for 245gr bullets. I use 85gr of 777 with the 300gr Hornady Mag XTPS to smack the "X" at 100yds with every shot with my old Knight USAK with #11 caps.

I have 1 other suggestion, since nothing seems to be working for you...... it is possible that the barrel is fouled by plastic residue from the sabots. Scrubb it out good with a bronze brush and I would also suggest lapping the bore with some J-B's Bore Paste, Flitz paste, or a similiar slightly abrasive paste. Work 2 or 3 patches coated with this stuff though the bore using quick, short strokes. Then work several dry patches in the same way, clean with your normal solvent and then see what happens.

"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!

Quick Reply: having muzzle loader trouble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.