Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C customer service: Hit or miss?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C customer service: Hit or miss?

I missed the ad from TC stating the Omega and Encire are sabot guns and won't shoot conicals.

Can someone furnish a link where TC has made this clear or even alluded to it?

If these guns are not meant to shoot conicals, I am sure a company of TC's caliber would make this clear to a potential buyer.

Steve
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

I use only 75 gr. Shuetzen with the 460s NE's today & it was great out to 100 yards.

Why did you start with 80 gr? The "rough" 777 equivalent to my 75 grain Schuetzen FFFblackpowder load is 65 gr. 777.... enough powder/downrange thumpto take an elk at 100+ yards. Another load to try is roughly 70 gr. of powderwith Buffalo Ballet 270 HP.
I agree with this, txhunter58, and I think if you really want to use your Omega this is probably the better place to start. Not going to have as much thump as the loads your brothers are using, but they are more than adequate. I really think that even the Ballet is adequate and capable of delivering more energy at 100 yards than .58 round ball.

Another thing, when you tried the NE's. Did they scribe well going down? I wonder if you could use a sabot base with the petals off to help the bullet down the QLA before the breech gases spill. Just thinking that maybe that's why sabots forgive offcenter QLA's. Not that it wouldn't affect sabot accuracy. Honestly, I wouldn't think an 1 3/4 group is all that great for a scoped and machine rested rifle at 100 yards.

So many Colorado folk buy sabot guns to shoot conicals. Amazing!
True, but I understand why it happens. They aretold the omega shoots well with a broad range of projectiles. Really they ought to be told that the omega is designed for sabots only and is not represented for or recommended for use with conicals. Certainly some people have luck with them and conicals, but I thinkit should be madeclear to the consumer by T/C that their inlines are inappropriate choices for conicals and that T/C isn't going to back up their "fitness for the purpose of shooting conicals accurately".

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

I haven't let him shoot my gun, but I have loaded and shot his gun. I get great groups with his when I load it and shot it the same way as I do my gun.

I can get what some would consider OK groups with 405 powerbelts (8" at 100 yards is the best I can do). But that doesn't give me confidence shooting offhand at 100 yards. However, I am going to try the new 338 platinum powerbelts along with maxiballs and see if they shoot any better. And I hear so much about pyrodex being better for accuracy, I will be trying it. If those changes still don't work, I am going to send it back again.

Barring that, BS's idea has merit!
everytime i am at range, its wrong bullet that is causing problems in most muzzleloaders. i am not expert on this ,only what i have seen in 36 years.i seen more problems with MAXI-HUNTERS than any other bullet.i seen BEST groups with the MAXI-BALLS.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I used my Omega for Elk and it shot very well with 348 At powerbelts 110 grains of T7 with a lubed wonder wad. It took about 30 shots or more to get it to shoot well.
This year I had problems with the same rifle so I gave it a real good cleaning however I was using a stiff circle-fly wad and the skirts were not coming off and I did grease the skirt shaft. Changed back to original loadand it works fine.
Tried those new platinums and they do not work at all.
Ken
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM

Did you try the Hornady 410 gr. Great Plains with a ballistic bridge sub base? I have a black diamond (same barrel as Omega) that likes this load, and doesn't shoot much else well except sabots.

That aside, you might consider (as previously mentioned) selling the gun to someone who can legally shoot sabots - and then get another Omega or Encore. It's amazing how certain guns will/won't shoot certain loads. I got a Rock River AR-15 awhile back that shoots all 55 grain factory loads that I tried about 3" at 100 yards. 60 gr. TAP ammo shoots almost one hole, and 75 gr. TAP will shoot under 1". It is what it is. I know of four other Rock River rifles with the same barrel length that shoot great with 55 gr. loads.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously, the Omega is more of a sabot gun than conical, especially heavy conicals. I guess the reason I bought it was that many people I know shoot them with Conicals with no problem. In fact, I did not hear of any problems with them prior to purchasing it.Guess I didn't do enough research. Also, I love the weatherproof 209 primer set up and the ease of cleaning with an inline. I have not seen an inline 209 system with a 1 in 48 twist. Does anyone know of any such guns?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

T/C THUNDERHAWKINLINE AND FIREHAWK ARE 1 IN 38 TWIST
CHECK THE FOR SALE ON THE BOARD I HAVE A MINT THUNDERHAWK THERE IN 54 CAL.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously, the Omega is more of a sabot gun than conical, especially heavy conicals. I guess the reason I bought it was that many people I know shoot them with Conicals with no problem. In fact, I did not hear of any problems with them prior to purchasing it.Guess I didn't do enough research. Also, I love the weatherproof 209 primer set up and the ease of cleaning with an inline. I have not seen an inline 209 system with a 1 in 48 twist. Does anyone know of any such guns?
Not that I am aware of, but 1:28 is ideal for 460 -500 grain conicals. Triple Se7en keeps making excuses for the omega by saying its problems with conicals is twist rate.Its not the twist, its the barrel construction that makes an Omega hate a conical, espescially an uneven bore or a misaligned QLA.

In the omega, I imagine that the sabot is actually opening in the QLA setting the projectile free before the gases are spilled. There is a good chance that your QLA is misaligned as I recall that PB's were the only projectile which grouped at all. Seems to me that the plastic skirt helps to do what the sabot does.

If you can get a conical tospin sufficiently and in a straight alignment (not yawed) then you are going to get good groups with it. It would be worth picking up some the spent PB skirts and loadin 1, 2, or heck maybe even three lubricated wad before you load a properly sized NE or BS conical (ask UC), just to see if it helps. If it were to help, then I really do think the major problem your are having is a misaligned QLA which kicks the bullet out of alignment. Were the projectiles exiting in proper alignment with sufficient spin, you would not have any trouble grouping.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 08-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes there is a different twist rate .but i expect you'll have to go to fox ridge to get it.
but i think its for an encore
Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think i will stay with my flintlock t/chawkins .50cal.

Quick Reply: T/C customer service: Hit or miss?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.