Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C customer service: Hit or miss?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C customer service: Hit or miss?

Probably be money ahead! Am going to try a few more things here and see. hopefully I can find a "sweet spot"
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have never had better service from a company than thompson center. they are number one in my book. leupold and ruger would be a close second. i have sent in my guns to thompson center for issues through the years some of it my fault and have even got a gun back totally re- blued like i had just bought it 10 years previous. all of the work was FREE of charge including the shipping. i think your being a little harsh. your last statement was that you could still send it back so i would take it that they still want to help. dont take this the wrong way but to be honest if you knew your local hunting regs. only allowed conicals i would have looked at other gun options. not to say that the omega shouldnt shoot conicals well but i would have been happy with one of there models in a 1 in 48 twist cap lock gun. another thing is i dont think you spent enough time with your gun. half the fun is working up loads and bullet types and weights. if you only tried a couple loads then you havent done your part. i know most guns will have a certain amount of accuracy out of the box and it stinks when you cant get thing on paper but when you find a load that works well its time well spent. i bought a winchester model 70 in 338 win mag and it didnt shoot well with about 5 different types of ammo. at 40$ a box imagine how i felt. i once had a ruger in 7mm mag and threw a scope on it and was hitting dead on first couple of rounds so it can go both ways. i bet if you send it back with a note saying dont ship this back till maxi balls can shoot with some degree of accuracy they would probably figure out the problem or give you a new barrel. best of luck with that gun! .
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i have never had better service from a company than thompson center. they are number one in my book. leupold and ruger would be a close second. i have sent in my guns to thompson center for issues through the years some of it my fault and have even got a gun back totally re- blued like i had just bought it 10 years previous. all of the work was FREE of charge including the shipping. i think your being a little harsh. your last statement was that you could still send it back so i would take it that they still want to help. dont take this the wrong way but to be honest if you knew your local hunting regs. only allowed conicals i would have looked at other gun options. not to say that the omega shouldnt shoot conicals well but i would have been happy with one of there models in a 1 in 48 twist cap lock gun. another thing is i dont think you spent enough time with your gun. half the fun is working up loads and bullet types and weights. if you only tried a couple loads then you havent done your part. i know most guns will have a certain amount of accuracy out of the box and it stinks when you cant get thing on paper but when you find a load that works well its time well spent. i bought a winchester model 70 in 338 win mag and it didnt shoot well with about 5 different types of ammo. at 40$ a box imagine how i felt. i once had a ruger in 7mm mag and threw a scope on it and was hitting dead on first couple of rounds so it can go both ways. i bet if you send it back with a note saying dont ship this back till maxi balls can shoot with some degree of accuracy they would probably figure out the problem or give you a new barrel. best of luck with that gun! .
What you say has some truth, probably the Omega is not the best gun to buy for shooting conicals. Do you really think T/C wants that on record: Don't buy an Omega if you hunt Colorado? However I did lots of research beforeI boughtwith people who used them with conicals in Colorado and had no problems. Also, my brother anda friend bought identical Omegas at the same time that do not have a problem shooting conicals.

As far as not spending enough time with the gun, you must not have caught my earlier post. I have spent over 3 years trying to find a bullet/powder combo that I have a lot of confidence in. I have tried 777, Black mag3, and APP. I have not tried pyrodex, which is my next move, because I like the ease of clean up the newer powders give me. I have used only loose powder and with each power have tried 80 gr through 110 grains in 5 grain increments with each of these bullets: Powerbelts 348, 405, and 444. No excuses 460 grain. prbullets 390gr. I primarily hunt elk so 348 grain is about the smallest grain I feel comfortable with. I did try maxiballs when I first got the gun, but don't remember them doing that well. Fixing to give them another try, possibly with a wad. My brothers gun basically shoots any bullet with 777. Just lucky I guess.

And yes, I can still send it back, but it is getting close to the season, and if this were my only gun, I would be really sweating at this point. While I didn't say "don't send it back until it shoots maxiballs" I did say I could only shoot conicals and they did nothing to help me. If they had only called before sending it back, I would not have been unhappy. In the past, I have been more than happy with their service.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Currently, Thompson/Center Arms is not accepting email as a method of support for our products. If you wish to contact us for support please send your inquiry to our mailing address:
Thompson/Center Arms Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 5002
Rochester, NH 03866

Our shipping address for repairs is:

Thompson/Center Arms
Farmington Rd
Rochester, NH 03867

Or you can call us at: 603-332-2333, or fax us at: 603-332-5133

Old 07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
BS

Buy a new barrel and sell this one to a sabot shooter![:@]
Old 07-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

I have not tried pyrodex, which is my next move, because I like the ease of clean up the newer powders give me.
They are easier to clean and the fouling softer. Second shot is easier without swabbing. But don't count black powder out all together. I'm spending a little more time cleaning in exchange for more consistency which black powder is providing. For me, with the heavy conicals, the mess is turning out to be worth it.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats strange on other omega shooting ok and yours not. here is what i would do, give your gun to your brother. let him load it and shoot it for you.take his omega and you load it and shoot it. if his omega shoots bad with you loading, you know its you. if your brother can get your omega to shoot, its you.i send barrel back to thompson and said it shot all over paper.you know what it was. the tc hawkins WILL not shoot those maxi-hunters.funny, tc makes them and they are useless.put in a MAXI-BALL, will shoot great.problem was bullet.now i use powerbelts. its hard for me to believe a powerbelt would not shoot good.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't let him shoot my gun, but I have loaded and shot his gun. I get great groups with his when I load it and shot it the same way as I do my gun.

I can get what some would consider OK groups with 405 powerbelts (8" at 100 yards is the best I can do). But that doesn't give me confidence shooting offhand at 100 yards. However, I am going to try the new 338 platinum powerbelts along with maxiballs and see if they shoot any better. And I hear so much about pyrodex being better for accuracy, I will be trying it. If those changes still don't work, I am going to send it back again.

Barring that, BS's idea has merit!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

I hate to add this as it will probabally hurt you confidence more but I wouldn't buy the Omega if I planned on shooting conicals.

That being said try the 370g MAXI-BALLS. Do not try the MAXI-HUNTERS I have never had them shoot more than "ok" in anything. If you are still getting bad groups go up to the next size which I think is 430g.

When I first bought my Encore sabot rounds were still rare and I shot a lot of the 370's out of it and they did ok with Pyrodex pellets.

Good luck!!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

80 grains of 777 and 460 grain no excuses gives me 8 inch groups at 25 yards! Tried 80,85,90,95, 100, 105,110 grains 777 with no excuses. Have not tried pyrodex though. And I am going to try the new platinum 338 powerbelts with 80-100 grains of 777. Those are my next totry along with themaxiballs.
I use only 75 gr. Shuetzen with the 460s NE's today & it was great out to 100 yards.

Why did you start with 80 gr? The "rough" 777 equivalent to my 75 grain Schuetzen FFFblackpowder load is 65 gr. 777.... enough powder/downrange thumpto take an elk at 100+ yards. Another load to try is roughly 70 gr. of powderwith Buffalo Ballet 270 HP. The only Maxi I would recommend for that 1-28" would be the MaxiHunter 270s. Lastly, you can also custom-order some monster conicals around 460 gr.from the BullShop Company. For your T/C, I would not exceed .5035 in diameter & I would suggest all lead, #2 lube and gas check-bottoms for your options.

So many Colorado folk buy sabot guns to shoot conicals. Amazing!

Quick Reply: T/C customer service: Hit or miss?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.