Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Old 07-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Getting ready to put in an order there. It's for one of my Renegade 50's with a Green Mountain 1-28" twist.Are there any particular style bullets that you-folks been ordering? Also... I'm leaning towards .503 sizing. Is that about right for this model? I'm also considering some .3985 HPsin 240 grain -- I have a ton of 40/50 blue sabots from Precision to use-up.

Shot about 20 270 gr Ballets out of that new barrel today. Used nothing but Goex FFF.... right around 75 grains at 50 yards. Man that powder is messy & dirty -- but it sure smells nice & the little extra smoke was nice to relive also.

I got to find some better blackpowder for it. May delve into some Swiss or German Schuetzen real soon. Also... forgot to mention I got the Renegade stock assembly back from T/C Inc. They replaced the lock, trigger assembly & hammer -- free of course. Works/fires like a charm now. Even treated the new parts to a brand new Spitfire nipple. That rifle with all those new parts & new barrel seemed like a new gun to me today.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Dan from BullShop will size them to anything you ask. He also has a couple of differnt lubes he offers. I take the lube made for black powder. I've had good luck shooting the 460 grain and the 500 NEI. I have only shot a few of them out of my Renegade with the 1-28 twist and really do not remember the circumstances.

I will shoot some tomorrow out of the GMB and see how they shoot... Feel free to e-mail him and ask him anything you like. He's quick to answer..
Old 07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave

I ordered100 No Excuse 460s for it today.

What alloy did you choose from the Bull Shop? I noticed he had three different offerings. I was planning on the 20-1 lead that adds 35% to the bullet package price. His #2 Lube sounds like the best one.

What Swiss Powder granulation should I get for that 50-cal Renegade-- to be used alsowith my other 58-cal Renegade? I think you've used both the FF and FFF - right?? I know the FFF is potent stuff.... what's a reasonable/ballpark grain volume using 400-500 gr. bullets with the FFF?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

In the White, I have been shooting 70 grains of Swiss 3f with two wads and the large conicals with excellent results. In the other rifles I shoot Swiss 2f for the patched ball and such.

I also get the pure lead conicals. I do not want to try much else because I am not pushing them all that fast. I figure somewhere around 1400 tops. The sure seem to do well though.

The conical that is really giving me fits are the 385 grain Buffalo Bullet HP's. It seems nothing wants to shoot these things. So I will keep trying them with different things also.

I want to try some of the 460 bullshop in the Renegade tomorrow. Also I have some other new stuff to try in one of the rifles, so it should be interesting to say the least.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had any 100 yard luck with the Buffao 385s, Hornady Great Plains 385s or the T/C Maxi Bullet 370s in my 28" or 48" twists.

Please do a follow-up reporton your range work with the Bull Shop 460s in that Renegade fast twist. Hopefully, you'll be including some blackpowder with it. Are you going to try& stuff those .504 diameters in the Renegade? Let me know how they fit. I was thinking about ordering 503's.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Dominant Buck

will do... its finally raining here tonight but I am sure by morning it will be hot and dry again. I will shoot some Goex as well..

Also I have three 495 grain No Excuse .503 left. I will throw them down and let you know how they fit and shoot. I will do the shooting from 25 yards...
Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good!

Whereabout in Wisconsin are you? What's your closest big city? I'm heading near there in mid-August -- will touch thru a small Southeast corner of Wisconsin after leaving Chicago.

I'm eventually going to St. Louis & Kansas City. May stop at Graf & Sons in Mexico, Missouri & buy a few things while I'm down there.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll pretty much guarantee 20:1 alloy won't shoot worth a dern in that rifle - go with pure lead. Slug your bore and mic/caliper the slugto find out the correct sizing. Recommend just a hair bigger than measured land to land dimensions. Dave's rifle very probably has a different bore dimension, TC barrel tolerancescan result in some significant differences. You could specify your exact land to land but ask for the single step sizing which will result in a slight increase. Recommend his #2 lube. Understand he can also produce some .50 cal conicals in the range of 300 to 350 grains, you might ask about those as they might perform better in that rifle.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good info Rich.

I may just mike one of my bullets that I feel fit that new Renegade bore well. It's the Hornady PA Conical.

Is the Bull Shop pure lead soft ... similar to 5 to 1 REALS Black-Jack Hill sells?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say about Dan's pure lead is that itis pure lead (or about as close to pure as one could find) and soft enough to easily scratch with a fingernail. The few BlackJack Hill bullets I tried seemed to be a bit harder than pure... perhaps a tiny bit of tin is in his mix.

Dan is one casting machine but it's possible to encounter a slight delay in your shipment for a number of reasons. He will get them out as soon as he possibly can and most times shipment turns out to be very fast. If you happen to place your order at a time when his potsare full of alloy instead of pure, that situationmight add a few days to the process. He also suffers some pretty serioushealth issues on occasion. Local weather conditions can also be a major factor as Dan and his family definitely live in the boonies. Email your order and be sure to specify pure lead, diameter desired, lube type, quantity and of course bullet type.Dan's wife Tinatakes care of orderhandling and sends back an email showing total due... payment in advance is expected. Shipping will be the same price for quantities up to around 500 with that upper limit dependent on how many can be properly packed in a flat-rate priority mail box.

He will also fill orders for sample quantities if someone would like to mix up an order with smaller quantities of various types/weights/lube. Pricing for that type order will be very reasonable as is all his pricing.

Quick Reply: Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.