Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Old 07-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Default RE: Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Good info Rich!! Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it was really hot out there today, 89 degree when I looked. I took some 460 grain BullShop Bullets, 500 grain NEI BullShop Bullets, 385 grain Buffalo Bullet Conicals, and some 495 grain No Excuse Conicals.

I used Goex 3f as the test powder. I was shooting 70 grains for all loads.

As to the question of ease of loading... The .504 BullShop Conicals on a scale of 1 to 10 with 5 being the normal loading,would have rated an 8 and even a 9. In one case I had to literally pound the bullet down onto the powder charge.

Even swabbing the barrel did not seem to completly solve the problem of loading the BullShop Conicals. I am not sure if it was the heat and the kind of lube they had, if it was the fowling from the Goex, but they were very uncomfortable to load. I did somewhat even the loading by smearing the outside of the bullshop conicals with my homemade castor oil solid lube. They then went to about a 6.5 for loading on the same scale.

The No Excuse conicals which are a .503 diameter loaded like a dream in the Stainless Steel Renegade. Simple thumb pressure seated them under the crown, and then just a ramrod was necessary to seat them. I was not able to shake them back out of the barrel, so they are about perfect for the rifle as far as the diameter.

The Buffalo Bullet 385 grain loaded very nice. A short starter was necessary to get them into the bore, but after that it took normal pressure to seat the conical onto the powder charge. The Buffalo actually shot very well at 25 yards. This time I put a wad down the barrel on the charge, then filled the hollow base with my lube and the accuracy was very acceptable. What would have happened if I moved back was anyone's guess. I will test that theory at a later cooler time.

The 460 grain BullShop with no wad produced excellent accuracy. Of course this shooting was done at 25 yards, but I was more then pleased.

The 495 grain No Excuse also produced excellent accuracy. While the 500 grain BullShop had their fits. Two would hit where you wanted and then one would drop low for some reason.

Overall Triple Se7en, if you get some bullshop concialsfor the stainless steel Green Mountain barrel you might want them sized to .503. They should load easy and no shake out of the barrel. If your barrel and mine are similar. I do not have the tools to measure the barrel for you...
Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave!

.503 appears to be the ticket for my Renegade also -- aftermiking my good fitting P.A. Conicals for the same diameter. The NE's I ordered are .503 & I'll do the same with the BullShop bullets. I'm retiring my remaining Goex -- purchased some Schuetzen FFF& Swiss FFF today. In the samemuzzleloading storewere a bunch of brand new Whites... ie... Tominator, Super 91-I (Special Edition), M-97 Whitetail Hunter & Thunderbolt.

I couldn't believe what I just saw when I zipped around the corner of the ML display in order to retrieve some blackpowder. Now I need to decide what to do about this & who to make aware of my discovery. I surely don't want to purchase all of these. I forgot to ask if the owner had any backstock on these. I'll give him a call tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM

Triple Se7en, I think it was you that recently challenged someone to find new stock of Whites.

Looks like you were up to your challenge!!!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 PM

Triple Seven........I'm new to this forum and also from Michigan, I was wondering where you found the Schuetzen FFF, I'm having a hard time finding any stores carrying any true black powder. Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take just a wild guess: Bob's Gun & Tackle Shop, Inc., 2208 Gun Lake Rd., Hastings, Michigan 49508 ph 269-945-4106

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?state=MI&city=HASTINGS&address=220 8+W+M+43+HWY&zip=49058

Old 07-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

I'll take just a wild guess: Bob's Gun & Tackle Shop, Inc., 2208 Gun Lake Rd., Hastings, Michigan 49508 ph 269-945-4106

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?state=MI&city=HASTINGS&address=220 8+W+M+43+HWY&zip=49058
But I'm not worthy!

I see nuthin, I see nuthin . . . .

Shame on you UC!

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why? It is just a guess, really. That shop has very high prices on the Whites that remain (so I'm told).
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BlackandWhite

Triple Seven........I'm new to this forum and also from Michigan, I was wondering where you found the Schuetzen FFF, I'm having a hard time finding any stores carrying any true black powder. Thanks in advance.
Mark
My source has none remaining & is not expected to re-order that particular brand.

Here is another source..... best prices anywhere - well... at least outside of Switzerland & Germany.

http://www.uppermotradingco.com/black_powder.html
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: BlackandWhite

Mark
My source has none remaining & is not expected to re-order that particular brand.

Here is another source..... best prices anywhere - well... at least outside of Switzerland & Germany.

http://www.uppermotradingco.com/black_powder.html
I don't order online but thanks anyway. What muzzleloader shop were you at, I;m always interested in browsing around a new store?

Quick Reply: Need info on Bull Shop sizing and style

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.