Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fine tuning my Nikon Pro Staff on the White

Old 07-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Fine tuning my Nikon Pro Staff on the White

I decided to finish the final tuning of the scope at the 70 yard mark since that's where I like them sighted in at. The first five shots under the bull was more then good. I then over cranked it for one and shot over the bull. After making a final adjustment, the other four fell in to the bull like they should. Then to make sure it was not a lucky set, I took a poke at all four corner bulls.

The to press my luck, I decided to shoot groups in the corners. Again, I was more then happy with how this rifle shot. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f with 2 1/16th fiber wads and a 500 grain .504 BullShop conical bullet.[/align][/align]I swabbed the barrel after the 10th shot. The actual weight of the range rod was all that was necessary to seat the .504 conical after the two wads were set of course. I then would check it, and using the CCI Magnum #11 caps the rifle performed perfect as always.
[/align]
I sure do like this White Rifle and the Nikon Pro Sport scope with the Warne QD rings...
Old 07-22-2006, 03:28 PM
BS

Default RE: Fine tuning my Nikon Pro Staff on the White

Looks like you have a GREAT start

Nice shooting!
Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I sure do like this White Rifle and the Nikon Pro Sport scope with the Warne QD rings...
I can see why, Cayugad! That's some great shooting there bud!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

OK - you know that I don't shoot those conicals, (so allow me at least one dumb question) but after reading your post and cascadedads post about how easy those conicals drop down the barrel of the Whites - what keeps them seated on the powder? I am thinking in an all day hunting situation when the gun hauled all around heck's half acre. I never try to mistreat my gun but I know in a day of hunting it does suffer some bings and bangs.

It really does not seem to me that .5045 is tight enough - if the bore is .504 an additional .005 seems pretty slight... it would worry me.

Ok I am done being dumb this time- gemme plastic - ( I keep telling UC it is not plastic anymore but I can not change his mind)

Old 07-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree that these conicals do load very loose. Although as the barrel fowls out, they fit much tighter and better. I think it was UC or Surveyor that was talking about teflon taping them to keep the first one in the barrel. I am going to be testing that a little more in the near future.

I had tried to shake them off the loads. The No Excuse Conicals which are .503 I can move off the load and shake them right back out the barrel. The BullShop fit a little tighter although this batch I got this time are not as tight as the last batch, which is why I want to try a few things with them. I think that's why a lot of the people are asking for a .5045 instead of the .504. I like the accuracy I get with these and will stick with them.

As for loading, I use a heavy range rod. After I seat the wads, I put the bullet into the muzzle and the weight of the rod will seat the projectile almost. Although when shooting Goex this is not the case and I suspect this is because of the additional fowling in the barrel from that powder. Also they would be harder to move off the load with the Goex which I will be testing next week as well.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:07 PM

I got to shoot some of those Bullshops today too. Was 94 degrees when I quit shooting at 10:00. Had to take the kids to the pool to cool everybody off. I took some picture, but your going to have to wait until after I eat a burger to get them.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I know with mine and no excuse's they will fall out the barrel in fact they fly out a couple feet when I raise the rifle. The Bulls seem to stay put however. I have ordered some .5045 though (not here yet)
Redclub
Old 07-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redclub

I know with mine and no excuse's they will fall out the barrel in fact they fly out a couple feet when I raise the rifle. The Bulls seem to stay put however. I have ordered some .5045 though (not here yet)
Redclub
Keep us posted on how the bigger .5045 work in your rifle. These .5040 I shoot load easy and shoot great, so it would be interesting to see how those you ordered work.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:27 PM

I can't wait to get a scope mounted. Will probably go with your exact setup Cayugad.

It isn't a huge priority as I can't hunt with it, but I sure want to do it anyway.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

As for loading, I use a heavy range rod. After I seat the wads, I put the bullet into the muzzle . . .
Noticed that you seat the wads before loading the bullet. Is thisfor safety, more consistency . . . something I haven't considered?

Happy Hunting, Phil

Quick Reply: Fine tuning my Nikon Pro Staff on the White

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.