Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Brands of balls

Old 07-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brands of balls

Do different brands of balls shoot differently out of you muzzleloader for you guys? Now I am using Hornady but I might get Speer or Buffalo balls next time since they come in plastic containers instead of cardboard. I think that Hornady, Speer, and Buffalo balls are all close to the same softness correct? What brands do you guys all use?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Brands of balls

I have discovered that different brands do indeed shoot different. To what degree is the question. And this might not hold true in your rifle for instance. All you can do is shoot a few different brands and see which one does the best for you. I would suggest trying some Hornady, Speer, and Buffalo Bullet Ball. Actually the Speer shoot the best in most of my rifles. Not much better mind you, but group size and consistency, the Speer out do the others. But I would sure hate to live on the difference.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think Speer are as soft as Hornady and Buffalo? I can get Speer for the Same Price as Hornady at my Local sporting goods store so I might try some. If I want to shoot buffalo balls I have to order themoff of the internet but I do not think it is worth shipping costs.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Speer are pure lead ball just like Hornady and are as soft as Hornady or Buffalo. I like Speer, but I have to order them on line so they end up costing me more. That's why when I do order ball, I order a couple hundred at a time.

I cast my .50 & .54 caliber ball, but still purchase my .58 & .62 ball. LEE Mold does not make the size molds I like in the other calibers. I really like a LEE mold. They might be made of aluminum, but I have casted literally thousands of ball from my .54 caliber mold over the years.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speer is my first choice if I see all the roundball brand nameson the same shelf.A couple of posters mentioned theyhave theleast variances in grain weight when you weigh each one & group them. We should all send Phil different roundball brands to test with his soup cans and sand....lol[:@]
Old 07-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
We should all send Phil different roundball brands to test with his soup cans and sand....lol[:@]
Don't know if I would call it test, but I do havea couplenifty mushroomed bullets. My Dad would call what I did improvisation, cause it wasn't planned, in fact, they weren't my cans. Why the grrrr face?

Happy Hunting, Phil