Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Magnum or not???

Old 07-20-2006, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Magnum or not???

Hey all, I am just getting back into ML hunting. I got a CVA Wolf for a starters, and got some pretty good groups using Knight Sabots w/100g Pyro pelletswhen I first got it. I cut a clover with the Knight's with the 1st 3 shots out of the gun at 25 yards.I got some PB 245g and have been getting them dialed in with 100g pellets also, but they seem a bit more eratic.I know range time is best, but is there a gain or plus side to go to the magnum load? (150g)
Old 07-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Magnum or not???

I'm not sure how much of a velocity benefit you'd get shooting magnum charges out of that 24" barrel. You'll probably get some velocity boost, I'm just notsurehow much.The longer barrelled MZ's, 26"-29", tend to get the most benefit, velocity wise, from shooting thoselarge powder charges. Personally opinion, I think you'd justbe wasting powder but I'm not one thatreally cares about shooting magnum charges either.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Magnum Charges are all fine and good if the rifle likes magnum loads and produces accuracy,and it is safe to shoot them. I think all too often people get an idea that more is better. If your going to shoot the powerbelts, I personally would avoid the magnum charges as the powerbelt can react sometimes with less efficient penetration and expansion.

The use of magnum loads is not always necessary for most of the shots we take. Granted they have their advantage, but if you are getting good accuracy with your current loads, you should at least keep them in mind for if in the event the magnum loads do not work out for you.

You will probably find that magnum loads will really not be an advantage for you. You will also have to understand that you will burn more powder, suffer stronger recoils, and you might not like the way the rifle reacts. But then everyone needs to try them once.. Just make sure that the rifle is safe to shoot magnum loads and do not exceed the manufacturers recommended loads.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

How do you "dial in" a load using pellets ? It either works or it doesn't .
The few magnum loads I've fired with pellets and loose were all over the place and just wasted powder IMO .
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I pretty much figured it would be just extra powder burn, and I really don't expect more than 100 yard shots where I hunt in IL. The gun is rated for magnum loads, but I think it is more a "selling point" than a requirement. By dialing in I meant that the PB's were not flying the same as the Knight sabots, and I needed to make some sight adjustments, and still do.I know that experimenting with with different powder loads is the "correct way" tofigure out your gun, I was just trying to K.I.S.S. with the 100 grains of pellets, and hope that I could get good groups without too much meddling. Which is also why I chose the 245g PB's. I figured I wouldn't need as heavy a bullet with the lighter 100g load. (any advice onbullet choice also would help)Like I said this in-line stuff is all new to me, I have an oldflinter that was required when I lived in PA along w/ roundballs only, but that was a long time ago. Thanks for the advice all,feels good to be blowing smoke again.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

As far as PowerBelts go, I won't shoot anything smaller than their 348 gr. bullets. Heard and witnessed to many instances of the lighter PB's not making an exit wound. In thick cedar brush, it's nice to have a blood trail. I'm about to start experimenting with the 405 gr.PB's, just for kicks. Now, I've got a buddy that's had great success with the 300 gr hornady SST bullets.He's gotten some incredible exit wounds.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Dear Dumbass, (sorry, couldn't resist)

If I were you and I wanted to keep it simple, I would just shoot some at 50 and 100 yds with the Knights. If they shoot good, your set.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

but is there a gain or plus side to go to the magnum load? (150g)

I'd say generally NO! If things are erratic at 100 grains it will probably get worse at 150 grains.

If you are trying to find the MOST ACCURATE LOAD with any given bullet, you must use use loose powder so you can vary the charge in smaller increments than is possible with pellets. Sometimes a pellet load will turn in excellent accuracy, but often they won't!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 AM

most all B/P guns are different, it takes some range time to get your best results.
In my testing of my two guns,( CVA Magbolt 150 , 45 cal. 209 primers) I found that with the 150 grain powder, the bullets went wild.all over the target.I then droped to 100 grain pyrodex and things were good.I have taken many deer and a few hogs and all have preformeed great.all but two were pass through with large exit holes and great blood trails.the two were one neck shot at 10 yards and one down through the back at 10' both were dead at the impack.

just have to shoot it as said,with different loads and different ranges.thats the fun of a new gun or new loads.punching paper and blowning smoke.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some things depend on the gun some on the shooter,I have several guns like my thunder hawk that shoot light loads best like 100 gr is where the 1 inch groups are but the new Omega shoots the 50/40 200gr ShockWave in less than 1 inch consistantly with 150 APP FF also some people can't handle recoil so it is a mistake for them to push their luck. Lee

Quick Reply: Magnum or not???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.