Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wads

Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wads

Doese anyone use wads in thier muzzleloaders? I heard that sometimes they will allow you to usea little more powder, true?I know that they can improve accuracy and help with pressure ratings. I was thinking about trying some in my 54cal Renegade and trying them in my GM 58cal when I get that. I was thinking about getting some of the Ox Yoke wonder wads. I know that it all depends of your rifle.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wads

Wads will help with a number of different loads... all you can do is try them.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Doese anyone use wads in thier muzzleloaders? I heard that sometimes they will allow you to usea little more powder, true?I know that they can improve accuracy and help with pressure ratings. I was thinking about trying some in my 54cal Renegade and trying them in my GM 58cal when I get that. I was thinking about getting some of the Ox Yoke wonder wads. I know that it all depends of your rifle.
I use them in everything when shooting high power hunting loads...in fact, I use the next larger size in a given rifle....62cal wads in my .58, .58cal wads in my .54, etc, etc...large size = more lube and a tighter fit for a better seal.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

They have worked well for me with heavy PRB loads,with breakaway sabots with the big heavy slow lead bullets. Lee
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Wonder Wads with cast flatbase conical projectiles and shoot them as-cast, with only the Wonder Wad giving any lubrication at all. In addition, I use Wonder Wads in .45/70 ammo when shooting cast lead bullets with both smokeless and BP loads. They "work wonders"!

Here's a couple of 100-yard, three-shot groups shot with "naked" Maxi-balls using WonderWads under them. A .45 cal. and a .50 cal. rifle.....

Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 AM
BS

Have you ordered one, yet?

Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I use Wonder Wads with cast flatbase conical projectiles and shoot them as-cast, with only the Wonder Wad giving any lubrication at all. In addition, I use Wonder Wads in .45/70 ammo when shooting cast lead bullets with both smokeless and BP loads. They "work wonders"!

Here's a couple of 100-yard, three-shot groups shot with "naked" Maxi-balls using WonderWads under them. A .45 cal. and a .50 cal. rifle.....
Nice group eldequello. Did you do that with your peep sight? I've never heard of using unlubricated cast bullets before. So you use the lubricated wads with this combination?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I skipped the lubrication of these bullets solely because I was going to use them with Wonder wads, which do contain some kind of lubricant. They are essentially the same wads as we use in cap & ball revolvers over the powder when skipping the use of grease on top of the bullet. So actually I'd been shooting "naked balls" in revolvers for a long time with a Wonder wad under them, and thought "if you can shoot a revolver with a naked ball when using a Wonder Wad, why couldn't you do the same with a conical in a rifle?" I've used those Wonder Wads in .45, .50, .54, and .58 calibers........

Yes, groups were shot in the .50 with a peep rear, but the .45 had an old Weaver J 2.5 scope on it...... I have these two sidelock rifles set up so that I can use a peep or a scope on either of them, and have a regular folding open rear sight on the .45 as well. The .50 doen't have an open sight.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I almost always find greater velocity,accuracy and consistancy with heavy hunting loads when using wads under a PRB and often with conical's. You just need to try. With a PRB, the wad really prevents blowing patches. Also helps keep leading down to a minimum with conicals as well.

As Roundball mentioned, I have also switch to the next caliber wad diameter with very good results.

Tahquamenon
Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I am going to get some wads to try out.

No, I have not ordered my GM barrel yet. I plan to order it at the end of July.