Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pursuit LT .50 Cal. - Hard Loading

Old 07-04-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Pursuit LT .50 Cal. - Hard Loading

Haven't been on the forum since last Fall - just not enough time for all the fishing/hunting seasons!!

Looking for opinions/comment/advice - last Fall, I used Hornady XTP's .240 gr. with their .45 cal bullet and their black sabots. Bullets & sabots were a package. Although I was able to obtain good accuracy the gun is very hard loading. Mentioned this to one of the staff at a local firearms store and he suggested I try the same Hornady bullet but in .44 caliber, and a different sabot. The sabot he suggested is made by Precison ( a local company here in Manitoba) and is a high pressure sabot made for .429 -.430 diameter bullets. I'm wondering if those more experienced shooters here see any problems in me trying a combo such as this of a smaller bullet/sabot - am I missing something here? no safety issues I can see? would performance suffer greatly with the smaller bullet?

All help greatly appreciated.

Randy
Winnpeg, MB
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pursuit LT .50 Cal. - Hard Loading

Why not keep the same bullet you're presently using if the accuracy is good, and switch to a Harverster .452 crushed Rib sabot or MMP H-24 sabot. Those should make loading easier. Also be sure and do a good job of swabbing between shots..

You might also want to try a clean burning powder like Pinnacle 3f, APP 3f, Triple Se7en 2f, and Black Mag3. Those might also assist in the swabbing and loading problem, but I would first look at a different sabot. That's where I go when a projectile is hard to load...
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

For your present bullets - buy the crushed ribs.

For future bullet purchases, you may consider the regular Harvesters. The black ones (451-452) are the one you want.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0012633.jsp

Another one I like is the MMP 3P (three-petal). They need to be specifically asked for by phone. Phone: (870) 741-5019

http://www.mmpsabots.com is their website.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a nice varity available now, my gun issluged and mic. at .500and the regular ones are usable but load real hard so I tried them all,which is what you will likly have to do; I found that the crush ribs were to loose and shoot wild and the MMP H-24 sabot loaded some easier and shot into a ragged hole @ 100yd so I use them but you can get to easy then accuracy will deterorate rapidily.Lee
Old 07-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

i also have a PURSUIT LT and had the same problem as you ,i switched over to .260 gr.DEAD CENTERS ..easy to load and shoot bullseye at 100 yards ..after 75 odd shot's my muzzleloader was coming apart and i brought it back to the store where i bought it ..the fire pin was hitting the primer way off center,also had trouble closing the breech [too tight] but after shooting it 50 times i was able to close it much easier..i sent a e-mail to tradition and i also phoned them with no response from them ..the problem with the pursuitlt ,the frame is made of light weight alloy ,and is not strong enough ..should have bought the PURSUIT PRO it has a steel frame ..