Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Almost did it.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Almost did it.

Decided to try some Pyro P today. Used 60 grains with 270 maxi-ballet and chrony'd velocities. Average was 1497 fps. Everything was +-30 fps of there. Then I decided to try some of the 385 GP.Inso doing I decided to try something different with the rest I was using, which I am ashamed to say, wasaroll of battingI sneaked away from my wife. I've been sitting on the ground with the batting propped on aboulder. Its comfortablebut the batting really isn't solid. I moved to a different boulder and set up so theforestockwould rest on a partial roll of paper towel. It was comfortable so I went for a group at 50 yards.

The load was 75 pyro P, 385 GP, and winchester 209. The first to shots touched so I was thinking, I'm gonna do the 1 MOA at 50 yards and cloverleaf. But alas I was just off a little, when the gun went fired, and I knew it. Below is the target. The chronys were slower than I expected. I used 5 grains more powder and 3f granulation and still they came in lower than the 410's yesterday and averaged 1289 fps. It was cooler today and the 385s loaded a whole lot harder than the 410's did yesterday. Once started, they drove fine, but they were several orders more stubborn to crown than the BB 410s.

Istarted to putanother target on and was going to go to 80 yards with the 385s, but i started to feel big juicy raindrops and thought I would come back and just begin at 80 yards next outing. Now its pouring and I'm so glad to be getting the rain, I don't think I'll complain.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Almost did it.

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

The load was 75 pyro P, 385 GP, and winchester 209.The chronys were slower than I expected. I used 5 grains more powder and 3f granulation and still they came in lower than the 410's yesterday and averaged 1289 fps. It was cooler today and the 385s loaded a whole lot harder than the 410's did yesterday. Once started, they drove fine, but they were several orders more stubborn to crown than the BB 410s.

Istarted to putanother target on and was going to go to 80 yards with the 385s, but i started to feel big juicy raindrops and thought I would come back and just begin at 80 yards next outing. Now its pouring and I'm so glad to be getting the rain, I don't think I'll complain.

Happy Hunting, Phil

WOW!! that's amazing that the larger charge of Pyrodex P with a lighter projectile would be slower then Pyrodex RS and a larger projectile. Very interesting testing results to say the least. It almost makes me want to get a chronograph for myself, but that might cause me to shoot more..

Excellent range report as usual, and some darn good shooting on your part.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!! that's amazing that the larger charge of Pyrodex P with a lighter projectile would be slower then Pyrodex RS and a larger projectile. Very interesting testing results to say the least. It almost makes me want to get a chronograph for myself, but that might cause me to shoot more..
I wonder what did that? I always thought that cool weather would help with velocities (though i don't know from experience), and then, like you said, more powder of finer granulation and a lighter bullet. Maybe there was blowby with the 385s? But they were so much harder to load. Maybe they had more resistance with the bore? The lube on the buffalo brand bullets is sure enough slick. I'd give a shiny penny to find out.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
BS

Thing that make you say HMMmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

The big projectile got all the juice the RS was giving up. I am not surprized. The energy needs to go somewhere. The bigger grained powders really shine with big projectiles.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

The big projectile got all the juice the RS was giving up. I am not surprized. The energy needs to go somewhere. The bigger grained powders really shine with big projectiles.
I like the finer grained powders personally when shooting conicals. I just think I get better accuracy. And I used to think better conical speeds. Now I am not too sure..
Old 07-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

You may be right about that. Next time. I'll use some RS with the 385's and see how they chrony with 70 grains RS. And I'll try75 grainsPyro P with the 410's. Dang this is fun!

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you use an overpowder wad?

Great shootin'!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Do you use an overpowder wad?
UC,

I did not with the 385s but I did with the flat-based Buffaloes yesterday. The groupings of the buffaloes wasn't this tight but I think that my rest had as much or more to do with that as the bullet did.

Happy Hunting, Phil