Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

POWERBELT BULLETS PROBLEMS??????

Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: POWERBELT BULLETS PROBLEMS??????

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: sproulman

[ my .50 cal hawkins seems to group the 295 gr powerbelt better than the 348 BUT, i think your right, the 348 is better choice for deer but i am stuck on 295,i like it.
The ultimate twist for the Powerbelt 295 is your Hawkens 1-48" twist. So I can see why you like it so much. I have a sidelock 1-48". I touch target holes using the 295s. Being I only use two sand bags for the muzzle & my elbow on a table when sighting-in, I think that's pretty darn good. I discontinued Powerbelts because I shoot three jugs of powder per year. Just too expensive of a bullet.
yes, i could see that getting real expensive. i only use them for deer hunting here in pa. sadly, way the state is going here,i dont think i will be using them for too long. DCNR deer eradication program is in full swing now.they do shoot real good and i like idea i dont have to use bore butter at 5 below zero.i like bore butter for my patchs and lube but in winter, its nasty.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: POWERBELT BULLETS PROBLEMS??????

ORIGINAL: Smithbros.1

My charge consisted of 120 grains of pyrodex select, with a CCI primer...348 AT powerbelt.
The problem I have with such a rapid expansion is.....what if your elk turns or moves during the shot.....if you hit the front shoulder at 100 yards are you going to have enough to collapse both lungs???Or will you only get one lung & have an elk run over the next two mountains? I think deep penatration is the key.....Its been proven time & agin that bullets should mushroom, stay together, deliver shock. Not blow up on impact.
As far as hunting whitetails.....I have seen countless killed with various front loaders. The early years they were roundballs & conicalswith 80 grains. Now its sabots & powerbelts with heavy charges......I have found even 200 +lb deer can't stop any of these bullets consistantly. Most pass through, unless you shoot out both shoulders. For deer size game just pick what ever your gun shoots well....I am sure it will kill deer just fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any powerbelt on deer. I believe a deer shot in the shoulder won't stop enough bullet to protect the far side lung.
most of the shots i had ona big buck were neck area.i would say that over 70% in 40 years have been from neck up to head.this is because the biggest buck dont go in the open much and head for cover.most shots were at 30 yards or less,some 10 yards.not 1 over 80 yards that i can remember wayback.on the ones that were looking back at me, i shoot for neck. i missed a few but not many.even with my 250-3000 sav with 87 gr. i never shoot a quartering shot. its neck or broadside.