Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buffalo 410s grouping well

Old 07-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buffalo 410s grouping well

Shot Buffalo 410's today with 70 grains RS and lubricated wonder wad. Had the tightest velocity range I've recorded since getting my chrony. The objective was 1340 fps. Chronied between 1273 and 1360 fps. The average was 1329 fps, 67% were within 20 fps of average and 83% were within 30 fps of average. I'm quite pleased. Still shooting a little over 2 MOA at 50 yards.

You guys who shoot 110 grains of T7 with the 410's are sure enough eating your wheaties. What are you doing about recoil?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buffalo 410s grouping well

I had the same luck at 50 yards. The real test is at 100 yards thou. I tested 13 different conicals in my fast twist Omega a couple of years ago. Took me an entire spring of shooting every weekend to do it. You would not believe how drasticsome of the bullet shot groups change going from 50 to 100 yards. If you are using modest charges of 777 FFF, Goex Express or Swiss FFF, those powders provide the fastest bullet-bore exit.... accuracy-important when using a heavy conical with a fast twist rifle.

But I'm sure you know that. Your posts here are generally very knowledgeable/schooled.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
You would not believe how drasticsome of the bullet shot groups change going from 50 to 100 yards. If you are using modest charges of 777 FFF, Goex Express or Swiss FFF, those powders provide the fastest bullet-bore exit.... accuracy-important when using a heavy conical with a fast twist rifle.

But I'm sure you know that. Your posts here are generally very knowledgeable/schooled.
Actually, I'm pretty new to the 1:28 twist rifle and new to conicals over 385 grains. So your comments are welcome. Thanks. I am will be going to 75 yards next outing. Eventually, to 100. Sure would like to shoot 4" at 100 yards with the sidekick and a 410.

Phil
Old 07-02-2006, 02:10 PM
BS

Are you using a scope, or just open sights?

and..........try some T7-2F
Old 07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

That's an interesting day you had at the range. Some of the numbers are interesting too. I ran a few of them and even at that speed they show some impressive numbers.

I normally shoot Triple Se7en 3f, Goex 3f, or Swiss 3f with the conicals I use out of my White Ultra Mag and get best results that way. If 70 grains of RS is producing those kind of speeds. I now realize that I have been under guessing the conicals I have been shooting.

My hottest load is 90 grains of Goex 3f and a 460 grain Conical. I get excellent accuracy and I think all the power I would need to hunt anything I want to hunt.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That's an interesting day you had at the range. Some of the numbers are interesting too. I ran a few of them and even at that speed they show some impressive numbers.

I normally shoot Triple Se7en 3f, Goex 3f, or Swiss 3f with the conicals I use out of my White Ultra Mag and get best results that way. If 70 grains of RS is producing those kind of speeds. I now realize that I have been under guessing the conicals I have been shooting.

My hottest load is 90 grains of Goex 3f and a 460 grain Conical. I get excellent accuracy and I think all the power I would need to hunt anything I want to hunt.
I would think you could slay grizzlies with that load. I'm out of BP and no one locally has it. Insurance concerns/costs I guess. Went to CO Springs today to the Sportmans Warehouse and looked for some there. None. They told me only one place in the Springs would have it (though there is probably more). Drove there but they were closed. But at least I know where I can get some BP without buying a case of it and having it shipped. I have this hunch that I'm going be using BP this fall on my elk hunt.

Doesn't really take alot of powder to kill what your hunting when the bullet is big. One just lets the bullet's weight and momentum do the work. They really ring some energy and momentum from a moderate charge. But it seems I may be a little light on the charge for accuracy purposes. I'll find out more as I stretch the range. I'll go as heavy on the charge as I have to get to 4" - 5" at 100 yards. But I'm hoping I can work with the 1340 fps muzzle velocity scenario. I'm gonna try to call my elk to within 70 yards and make scouting and calling the challenge, not a150 yarddistant shot the challenge.

At some point I would like to post some velocity / charge curves for different projectiles for each of the commonly used powders. They may be useful to some. Like forfinding a ballet load with the same muzzlevelocity as a heavy hunting load for use as a practice load. One which doesn't beat you up and is alot cheaper to practice with. Not that practice with the heavy hunting projectiles isn't necessary. Also, I want to determine real world BC on the projectilesthat I like using data from my chrony. As time goes by, I'll post more on that.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BS

Give me a scope and a good rest to shoot from and I'm often sub MOA at 100 yards with a high-powered rifle.However I'm using open sights. Maybe 4" at 100 yards isn't all that high a bar to set for myself. But as I get older, it gets tougher and tougher for me to focus and precisely find the point on the targetI need to aim for. At 50 yards I figure my "pointing" is around 1 to 1.5 MOA. I figure at 100 yards it won't be better than 2.5 MOA. Add bullet instability, wind, and velocity distribution effects and I figure I'll be doing well to break 4" at 100 yards. I've no problem hunting elk to a range whereI'm breaking 6" with all my shots and my maximum miss is 3".

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 AM
BS

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

ORIGINAL: BS

Give me a scope and a good rest to shoot from and I'm often sub MOA at 100 yards with a high-powered rifle.However I'm using open sights. Maybe 4" at 100 yards isn't all that high a bar to set for myself. But as I get older, it gets tougher and tougher for me to focus and precisely find the point on the targetI need to aim for. At 50 yards I figure my "pointing" is around 1 to 1.5 MOA. I figure at 100 yards it won't be better than 2.5 MOA. Add bullet instability, wind, and velocity distribution effects and I figure I'll be doing well to break 4" at 100 yards. I've no problem hunting elk to a range whereI'm breaking 6" with all my shots and my maximum miss is 3".

Happy Hunting, Phil

Open sights and 4"s is a fair group to shoot for.

I went to using a Merit Hunter Adjusable Peep. Low light you can unscrew it and use the tapped hole as a Ghost Ring.

I don't plan on shooting over 75 yds. with my 560 grain round ball, but I will shoot 125 yds. with slugs in my 50 or 54.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 PM

I have used the 410 Hornady Great Plains for a number of years. It shot best around 1400 fps, and started opening up as the charge increased - until I started using the MMP ballistic bridge sub bases. I have used 120 grains of 2F T7 and 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets with the sub base, and gotten groups of under 2" at 100 yards. Velocity is in the middle 1800's with either of these loads. Recoil is pretty stiff, but I do my group shooting and sighting in from a Caldwell Lead Sled. Never feel the recoil when shooting elk.

Not sure if the Buffalo 410's would benefit from the sub base or not. Does it have a flat base?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:39 PM
BS

I have found the same results as Roskoe with the Hornady 410s, 2"s with a sub base and 115FF.

Quick Reply: Buffalo 410s grouping well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.