Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullets for elk

Old 06-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Default bullets for elk

What would be a good bullet for elk hunting? I have a .50 caliber Knight Elite.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bullets for elk

bghunter64

Well, in my mind that depends on what your state allows... In Idaho we can use sabots and we can use copper jackets... so for me the best bullet is a 300 grain .458 (45-70) Nosler Partition - Protected Point in an Orange MMP HPH sabot.

I am also starting to experiment with a 300 grain (.452) SpeerGold Dot - Bonded Bullet. I am positive it will do the job and is much less expensive than the Nosler.

I load these on top of 110 grains of T7.

Good luck in your search...

Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hunt with the good old roundball but since a 50cal roundball would not be the best on elk and because your rifle would not shoot it well I suggest a good conical. I would try a 460gr No Excuses conical or maybe a 245gr Buffalo Ball-et (not the 270gr). Maxi-balls are also good if you can get them to shoot well. Another good one would be the Buffalo Bullet. Just get some different conicals and sabots or whatever your state allows and see what shoots best. Whatever shoots best is what I would use. Whatever you do, do not use a hollow point on elk. One more... ahollow base, soft tip Hornady Great Plains Conical is good to.

This link has Hornady's, Buffalo Bullets and Ball-ets and Maxi-Balls.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/50580cal_eib.htm

No Excuses Conicals
http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/index.html

I hope this helps. All of these conicals will be good on elk.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

If sabots are legal then Sabotloader has some good hands on experience with that. If it has to be a pure lead, you might want to look into some of the Dead Center projectiles or the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i never shot elk, but a .370 maxi-ball has to put a real hurt on a elk. i have taken many whitetail bucks here in pa. with that maxi-ball.it shoots real good also.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the choice of a full bore-size lead conical weighing over 350 grains. Even the 370-grain Maxi-ball is a good choice if your rifle shoots it well, as it has a lot of bone-smashing power and penetration, even though it doesn't expand much. A .50 caliber hole through an elk lets a lot of blood out both sides, and pretty fast.

Where will you be hunting? Good luck!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:01 AM
BS

Get some Maxi's, BB,NE and some Hornady's like stated above and let your gun decide.

My thought are, use 400+ grains of pure lead....."no hollow points"....the 370 maxi is close.

Try a wad [fiber, or cardstock] under the bullet.......accuracy will usually improve with there use.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Full bore conicals is the way to go!!! Even if your rifle shoots something around 300gr that is accurate then that will be fine. Remember, shot placement is the key. Elk have been taken with 50cal roundballs with no problem.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my elk last year with a 370 grain T/C Maxi Ball. Worked well, and I think I am going to stick with that for elk hunting, and will see how it does on deer this year!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 PM

There are lots of good elk bullets out there. Probably the most lethal, from personal experience, is the 250 Barnes Expander MZ. These bullets make a large hole through an elk's chest and generally wind up just under the hide on the off side. At longer range, the petals flare out like propellor blades and the bullet has 100% weight retention. At shortrange (high impact velocities) the petals fold back and can even break off, but the bullet still performs well.Just about all the elk I have seen shot with this bullet haven't even been able to take a single step before going down.We have also had good experience with the T/C Shockwaves, in both 250 and 300 grain. Plan to try the 200 grain Shockwave this fall (in New Mexico). At over 2400 fps, it is an honest 250 yard load.

There are quite a few lead conicals that work well; but given their maximum effective range of 125 to 150 yards and rainbow trajectory, I wouldn't even consider a lead conical if sabots like these are legal in your state.

Quick Reply: bullets for elk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.