Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patches Freezing to bore in cold weather

Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Patches Freezing to bore in cold weather

Has anyone ever had thier patch freeze to thier bore? What happens? Is there any way to prevent this? At what temp's doese this happen? I plan to use a Muzzleloader originals Wonder Lube patch.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Patches Freezing to bore in cold weather

Using Wonderlube it can happen. What you will find is if the patch is frozen in the bore the accuracy can suffer a little and the patch will usually be blown to bits. There is really no way to guarantee that it will not happen when you hunt in sub zero temperatures.

I've hunted Wisconsin for more years then I care to mention. We've been out chasing whitetailin -30 below and we are not talking wind chill. Yes it happens. Do I worry about it? Not really, I make my first shot count. You might find things a little stiff when loading the second shot but it can be done. Keep your ball and patch in a small tin and keep that near your body. The patches will not be very stiff orhard as a rock then if you should need to load a second one.

I've since switched patch lube to the castor oil, alcohol, water, murphy's oil soap, and witch hazel mix known as Moose Milk. I think the alcohol will help keep the patch a little more cold weather friendly. So far I've been lucky and have not had to test my theory because now when it gets too cold, I just stay home...
Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I also have hunted in extreme cold (Northern Michigan), and have actually stuck my finger to the barrel by not being careful. I assume that my patch was also frozen to the bore, but I don't believe it affected accuracy, or caused a great difference in pressure or anything like that. As cayugad said, it can/might cause a second shot to be harder to load, but that's probably the only real problem.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be hunting elk in September and antelope in October. The temperature should stay in the 20's to 30's. Some guys will use a rubber band and put a hand warmer at the bottom end of the barrel.

What happens with conicals and ball-ets in cold weather?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting only into October, I can't see any instance where it will get cold enough to really freeze stuff. I am assuming it is wyoming you are hunting? Sure, the nights will be a little chilly, and maybe even a snow storm, but not cold enough to freeze things solid.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado
Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I too end up hunting in the extreme cold temps but I am more concerned about the widgit keeping the gun off the the ground at that point than the rifle or shot. The rifle will go bang pretty good in the cold there is little humitity. Also as far as the patches go they warm up pretty fast when fired.

As Cayugad pointed out keeping reloads warm will help on a second shot but your first one will be very close to your regular range shot.

Keep yourself warm and safe in the weather and most likely your gun wont let you down.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Using Wonderlube it can happen. What you will find is if the patch is frozen in the bore the accuracy can suffer a little and the patch will usually be blown to bits. There is really no way to guarantee that it will not happen when you hunt in sub zero temperatures.

I've hunted Wisconsin for more years then I care to mention. We've been out chasing whitetailin -30 below and we are not talking wind chill. Yes it happens. Do I worry about it? Not really, I make my first shot count. You might find things a little stiff when loading the second shot but it can be done. Keep your ball and patch in a small tin and keep that near your body. The patches will not be very stiff orhard as a rock then if you should need to load a second one.

I've since switched patch lube to the castor oil, alcohol, water, murphy's oil soap, and witch hazel mix known as Moose Milk. I think the alcohol will help keep the patch a little more cold weather friendly. So far I've been lucky and have not had to test my theory because now when it gets too cold, I just stay home...
do to lack of deer now here in pa. i do same as you, on cold day, i stay home