Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cheap / Smallish Conicals?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cheap / Smallish Conicals?

Hi Guys,

What are cheap(er/est)'all lead' conicals I can purchase to shoot through my new Ultra Mag? I'd like them to be hunting accurate out to 125-150yds or so and come pre-lubed (I'm a ML newbie!). I also havea hunting buddy that's looking to have a "as easy as possible" way to get into ML with his new Ultra White too!

Also, if you know a good load recipie I'm all ears ...

As always thanks much for this information!
phil
Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cheap / Smallish Conicals?

Philnie, "smallish" means? Bullshop can fix you up down to 400 grains and he might have something smaller that would work. His prices are as good as it gets, especially if you order a few hundred.

You might try a box of these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/24555-17335-481.htmlas an alternative but I doubt they'll shoot very well in your UltraMag (but who knows!?).
Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: philnie

Hi Guys,

What are cheap(er/est)'all lead' conicals I can purchase to shoot through my new Ultra Mag? I'd like them to be hunting accurate out to 125-150yds or so and come pre-lubed (I'm a ML newbie!). I also havea hunting buddy that's looking to have a "as easy as possible" way to get into ML with his new Ultra White too!

Also, if you know a good load recipie I'm all ears ...

As always thanks much for this information!
phil
Well they do not come pre lubes but are small. R.E.A.L. conicals come in 280 & 320 grain (I'd have to check my molds). They are a trash can shape. You smear a little bore butter or home made lube on them and blast away. They actually shoot pretty good although I have not shot them out to 125 yards... A lot of deer fall because of REAL conical. R.E.A.L. means rifling engages at loading. Put a wad under them and 70 grains of powder. They are a lot of fun. I cast my own but there are places on line you can buy them. They do not come lubed though...
Old 06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Underclocked
Well yes, that extra tidbit would help here wouldn't it? I've ordered (but haven't received) the NE 460gr and 495gr conicals ... and no order into Bull Shop as yet. I've also got the sabots covered to start with - ranging from 260gr all lead Knights through to Hornady 300gr copper jacketed XTPs and topping out at Buffalos 375 SSBs. I'm looking for say 220gr -ish up to 400gr - with the Bull Shop 400gr fitting in nicely. I've seen the Buffalo Bullet Ball-ettes advertised before but didn't want to take a chance on them unless you guys said 'green light.'

cayugad
Ok, I'm sure Ican either convince my buddy to smear the lube on or we can always get together and do up a bunch at one time. I'll look into the R.E.A.L. conicals in both 280gr and 320gr. Without prior experience or access to these conicals with calipers at hand, I don't want to buy a bunch of lead and have them too small or too big for my .503 bore ...

Next question- I haven't bought any lube yet. What's the "bees knees" in lube these days? You all know I've got the White Ultra Mag so what lube works and is cost effective?

thanks so much you guys!
phil
Old 06-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0020974 210217a&navCount=2&podId=0020974&paren tId=cat200005&navAction=push&catalogCode=I G&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200 005&hasJS=true
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a page of 50cal projectiles. I don't think the roundball will work well for you but there are some reals there to. I would use bore butter as a lube. All of these will need lubed but check them out.

http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7
Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Here is a page of 50cal projectiles. I don't think the roundball will work well for you but there are some reals there to. I would use bore butter as a lube. All of these will need lubed but check them out.

http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7
Just a word of advise about BlackJack Hill... I was talking to the owner Bill Davis last week. He advised me his wife Judy, died suddenly and without any warning. He said he is still trying to get things done around there, arrange funeral proceedings, and just cope with the loss. He said she was kind of the glue that held the whole operation together since she handled shipping and billing, etc. So Bill wanted to tell all that he will try to get orders out ASAP but can not promise anything.

So if you're thinking of placing anorder with BlackJack Hill there may be somewait until you get your product...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:04 PM

philnie, sounds like you got plenty of different loads already to shoot. If you want, you can wait on those "smallish" others if you are still planning to come to the Tri Cities to shoot one of these days. I have some of the 400 gr conicals coming from Bull Shop. I bought a sample of different sizes from the 400's up to the 620's and ended up being a qty of 400. Including shipping these are less than $.25 each. They also come pre-lubed.

sabotloader is coming over this next week to see his family and if things work out right for him, I am going to try to sneak out of work for a few hours and go shooting. I won't be available for the next few weekends, but will be around in mid-late July and will be shooting every weekend that I can. You are more than welcome to come over and we can throw some lead.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I just don't know Philnie! [8D]

You got any Crisco?

REALs are tapered bullets - yep, they'll "fit" but you'll have to use a short-starter. I think the upper band on a .50 REAL would be around .508 or so - I use them for sluggin bores.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes the top band on a R.E.A.L. is .508 so you have to use a short starter to get them going. And they do not slide down the barrel like some of the other conicals. you will shoot. As for lube, well their is good old Bore Butter. Or you can get some bees wax and castor oil witha little murphy's oil soap and make your own. People use Crisco. People use canning wax mixed with olive oil and a lot of other things.

Next time out I want to try some maxiball in the White and see how they shoot. There are places you can buy them in bulk and make shooting them reasonable.

Quick Reply: Cheap / Smallish Conicals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.