Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cheap / Smallish Conicals?

Old 06-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cheap / Smallish Conicals?

I've posted this before but I guess repeating is part of forums. This is the lube I make and use. I bought some beeswax on line and the rest of the stuff you can get at a Wal Mart. It makes a very good solid lube that works great. You can make it softer by adding more castor oil or harder by adding more beeswax. You can custom make it so to speak. This was figured out on another forum by a fellow called Stumpkiller. It works very good for what I want it to do.

Solid Lube Formula[/b]

2 ounces of Bees Wax
8 ounces of Castor Oil
1 ounce Murphy’s Oil Soap

Using a double boiler system, melt the bees wax. While keeping the wax liquid, heat the Castor oil with the double boiler also. Then mix the two together. Stir them together and while doing this a scum will form. You need to scrap the scum off the liquid. Once the scum is scraped off the mix, then add the Murphy’s Oil Soap and stir fast while it is melted. This will make a nice frothy appearance and very smooth. Pour the mix into containers and it will set up in a couple hours.

This mix will not break down in heat and is still usable in cold weather. It makes a great conical lube.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

The 320g REAL is a great shooting bullet but is geared more towards the 48 twist shooters. Cayugad have you tried them in your White?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Ok thanks guys! I don't have a short starter (yet) nor lube so will add them to the "list." Don't know what's going on w/ NE Dave - he hasn't responded to my initial email with the order and it's been 11 days and still no shipment/receiving joy. LOL! I do have sabot'd projectiles to try so will obviously use them this first time out. I guess cayugad got me going on the conical / no swab between shots benefit!

Cascadedad, let me get out 1-2 times myself and I'll work out a date/time to come on over and sling lead with you ...

cheers,
phil
Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

The 320g REAL is a great shooting bullet but is geared more towards the 48 twist shooters. Cayugad have you tried them in your White?
The other day when I had the White Rifle out, I wanted to shoot some and looked through my bullet closet and discovered I was all out of them.I remember this winter casting up three hundred of them, but must have shot them off. So I have to cast up a few hundred again. Thank goodnessI have a friend who is generous and I cast for him and his son. He fell into the mother load for nice soft lead and said I can have all I want.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

You asked about the Buffalo Ball-ets. I have had good success with the 245 grainers (on paper). They come pre-lubed and are quite cheap. I use a wonder wad onder them, and they're real accurate at 100 yds (the extent of my range.

IM jaybe
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

jaybe
Ok thanks for the info. I just love getting real world reports/experiences rather than reading about what "should" work at various retail sites online ... If the 245gr ball-ets are accurate at 100yds then they should be likewise ok just a bit farther! LOL I can get a short starter and ball-ets at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Federal Way - there's plenty of time to go there and shoot this weekend too. I wanted an excuse to go back down there anyways! HEHEHE. Thanks again jaybe!

cayugad
Thanks so much for the homemade lube recipie ... I'm not at this level yet, but I've copied it and will start making my own when I make the jump to casting my own projectiles ... Shooting as cheaply as possible while maintaining terminal performance, accuracy, and fun is where I can see myself headed in the ML world.

Also a quick update on my NE conicals order - Dave responded last night - he never received my initial order so ... I did what anyone here would do and doubled the order while I had the opportunity!

cheers,
phil
Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

those conicals get shot up fast. I've just about shot off 300 large conicals already out of the White, not to mention the number of sabots I have put through it. BullShop conicals are also good shooters.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM

philnie quote, "I wanted an excuse to go back down there anyways! HEHEHE."

DON'T GO, DON'T GO, it'll cost you a fortune. At least it alway does me. I did manage to look at the rangefinders several times without buying one. I was very proud of myself. Until I found one on Ebay last night.

Good thing it is father's day weekend. I could be the blue guy. Still might be when the 40 lb box of conicals arrive, that one might be hard for me to hide!!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

cascadedad
LOL! I know, I know ... $100 here, $25 & $45 & $25 there and bam! It all adds up to a nice chunk of change. Well the nice thing about it is I've managed to acquire all the basics to shoot so am over the "hump" now, but it's the powder, projectiles, caps, that accumulate ...aside from diesel fuel to get there, I shouldspend less than $20 to pick up a short starter and 100 or so ball-ets this weekend. Then again, I "need" a rangefinder and a 8 or 10x25 pair of binocs ...

cheers,
phil