Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lube on Hornady Great Plains Bullets?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lube on Hornady Great Plains Bullets?

I was looking at my Hornady Great Plains Conicals and I noticed there was hardly any lube on them. It was some white stuff but it was only covering some parts of the conical. Doese anyone have problems with these bullets because on this? Won't this lead up my bore? By the way... would the led in my bore after a day of shooting come out when I pump hot soapy water in and out of the bore or should I run my bronze brush through it?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lube on Hornady Great Plains Bullets?

Nope.. the lube is great and it shoots good. I personally think people over lube their conicals. I never felt the reason or needfor lube was to fill all the depressions or ribs of the bullet. The lube is meant to protect the conical in flight up the barrel from heat of the ignition and to help it engage the rifleing. The reason you see some of the conicals packed so full of lube I personally think is because of the machine that lubes them. Wen I hand lube a maxiball for instance, I get a wad of lube on my finger and basically paint the outside of the projectile with as even a coat of lube that I can. If all the depressions are not packed level, that's all right. Do you really think that lube hangs in there level all the way up the barrel and out?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the Hornady's should not lead my bore more than a buffalo bullet or a Maxi-Hunter? They did not have lube all the way around though.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

If it's not all the way around, it sounds to me like they got warm and it ran downward. I'd just smear a little around on the dry side if you want - I'm sure they'll be OK.
Regardless of what I shoot, I like to run a brush trough at least a couple of times to catch anything that might be clinging right along the edge of the rifling. It doesn't take much fouling to hold a little moisture, and then you've got a place for rust to happen.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

So the Hornady's should not lead my bore more than a buffalo bullet or a Maxi-Hunter? They did not have lube all the way around though.
I've shot a lot of conicals and never worried about lead in the bore. When you clean it, like jaybe said, take a brush and some solvent and swab the bore out real good just to remove any trace lead deposits that might have formed. After that dry patch it and you should be fine.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your help.I am going to try that hornady on out and maybe use it for deer. For elk I am going to go with the No Excuses bullets. I was just a little curios about the lube. I can't wait to go shooting again. I might go this weekend or the following Friday.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, I think even the little paper instructions sheet packed inside each box of Hornady GPs mentions the white flaky lube.....essentially says not to worry about that fact that some may appear to have flaked off, etc.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Can't comment of the Hornady Conicals, still have the first box I bought nearly 20 years ago.....

The lube on a ML'r bullet is there to keep the fouling left in the bore after a shotas soft as possible so that loading the next shot and fireing it basically removes some of the fouling from the previous shot. I don't shoot conicals in ML'rs that much but I shoot them in cartridge rifles and pistols with black powder. The cowboy action folks shooting BP are using a "Big Groove" bullet that holds a ton of lube, I use them and I can tell you that fouling is greatly reduced with all the extra lube. I've also noticed that the more lube I stuff on top of a ball in a cap-n-ball revolver, the cleaner the bore stays...

Doug
Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Doug S

Can't comment of the Hornady Conicals, still have the first box I bought nearly 20 years ago.....

The lube on a ML'r bullet is there to keep the fouling left in the bore after a shotas soft as possible so that loading the next shot and fireing it basically removes some of the fouling from the previous shot. I don't shoot conicals in ML'rs that much but I shoot them in cartridge rifles and pistols with black powder. The cowboy action folks shooting BP are using a "Big Groove" bullet that holds a ton of lube, I use them and I can tell you that fouling is greatly reduced with all the extra lube. I've also noticed that the more lube I stuff on top of a ball in a cap-n-ball revolver, the cleaner the bore stays...

Doug
I'm the same way...the only conicals that I occasionally like to shootare TC's .45cal / 255grn Maxi-Hunters...tack drivers in a 45cal/1:48" barrel and devastating on deer...Ipush them through a TC pre-luber on top of a tube of Natural Lube 1000 and they come outgobbed with lube...but I can shoot whole ranges sessions at a time with themheavily lubed like that...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Roundball, What is that Pre-Luber? Do you have any links?

By the way... I looked at my Hornady GP Conicals and noticed that they have more lube than I thought.

Quick Reply: Lube on Hornady Great Plains Bullets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.