Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

curious

Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 AM

Default curious

I have a question for you all. I have been shooting a CVA inline 50 caliber rifle for 3 or 4 years now. Its been a good rifle with the exception of the sights. I know I can get better sights, just haven't done it yet. I use it for 2 weeks of the year deer hunting in the early season. The gun is a bolt action and seemslike its a pain to clean. So I was wondering how much easier the Omega or the guns that break-open like a Thompson Center Encore.

I shoot 777 powder thats easy to clean up with just water. A friend has the same gun, and shoots a different powder that doesn't clean up with water. I can get mine clean in about half the time it takes him. I guess I am just get'n lazy in my old age. lol

Mark
Old 06-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: curious

I have a few muzzle loaders and one of them is the Omega. It really is a breeze to clean there are really only 3 main pices to this gun. The breech plug. stock and forarm assembly (held on by 2 screws)and the barrel/trigger assembly. I really like this gun and find it to be very accurate. Mike
Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: chiefks

I have a question for you all. I have been shooting a CVA inline 50 caliber rifle for 3 or 4 years now. Its been a good rifle with the exception of the sights. I know I can get better sights, just haven't done it yet. I use it for 2 weeks of the year deer hunting in the early season. The gun is a bolt action and seemslike its a pain to clean. So I was wondering how much easier the Omega or the guns that break-open like a Thompson Center Encore.

I shoot 777 powder thats easy to clean up with just water. A friend has the same gun, and shoots a different powder that doesn't clean up with water. I can get mine clean in about half the time it takes him. I guess I am just get'n lazy in my old age. lol

Mark
Well of course the Omega, Encore, or some of the other break opens are going to beeasier to clean. The question is, if your rifle is a good shooter and you use it for a few days each year is all, is it worth the investment of a new and somewhatexpensive rifle? Or do you just want a new rifle?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad, I think he is asking us to tell him he needs a new rifle You know how this works, he can then tell the wife "I really need a new safer rifle, all the people on the internet say so".

Yes I think you need a new easy to clean rifle because, well, one muzzleloader in your gun safe would get very lonely. It needs a friend.

Both the Encore and Omega are easy to clean and very good guns. Don't take my bashing of my Omega's plasic stock wrong it is still an exellent rifle. I just prefer real wood to plastic.