Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MMP 3-petals working well

Old 06-12-2006, 11:21 PM

Default MMP 3-petals working well

Tried a new combo this weekend with the MMP 3-petals and the Buffalo 375 grain SSB Sabot bullets. Over 777 FFG 110 grains this load is a keeper. The Knight Bighorn shoots it very well. The center group was my last three shot group. I think I am getting much closer dialed in for elk at this point. Really like the MMP 3 petals as they are easy to load and have good accuracy. I will have to chrono next time at the range.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: MMP 3-petals working well

stratofisher1

I tested the 3p's fpr MMP back in Febuary and found that they really worked well also. The three different guns, which all use normally the HPH-24's shot the slimmer 3p's equally well. When I shot them across the chrono no real visible loss of velocity. They did SEEM to work better than the "crush ribs." Those of you with tight bores these might really work well.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

So this three petal is MMP's answer to the crushed rib then? Or do they make a thinner sabot?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, can you tell us anything about the new 2 petal super guild in the new Shock Wave? Lee
Old 06-13-2006, 06:44 PM

The MMP 3 petal is thinner than the harverster crushrib. Both give about the same accuracy, but the 3 petal seems to have a slight edge when you up the powder load. MMP told me that the 3 petal is the thinnest they had. I have the HPH 24's as well. They are not nearly as easy to load as the 3 petals. I have tried them all and I like the 3 petal the best.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

The "super glide" we the regular people will not be able to purchase. They along with some other sabots that MMP makes are under contract to the company they are providing the speciality sabot for. I believe MMP has a 50/44 that they build and sell to Thompson Center that is a bit thinner than the normal 44 also.... I tried to talk Connie out of some them but did not get anywhere... contracts and legal things...

The 3P is the thinnest 50/45 that MMP makes for the general public. I believe I like the 3P better than the "crush rib" also and I think I would agree with the ability to handle the powder charge... I am shooting 110 grains of T7-2f with 300 grain XTP's and the worked great. Way to thin of a set-up for a White though...

On the MMP site if they are listed yet the will have a trade name EZ if the are not listed just ask Connie..

Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I now prefer the MMP-3P over the Harvester Crushed Ribs. On average, using the same bullet in two different MLs, the MMP-3P shot 5" higher than the Crushed Ribs at my 75 yard targets last week. However, the Crush Ribs still loaded "very slightly' easier in these two MLs I used.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

I concur with your conclusions.... for whatever that is worth...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 PM

The 3 petal is what I am going to stick with. I will probably work on reducing my number of harversters, but for hunting I know what will go to the field. The harvesters started looking like a shotgun pattern when I got above a 90 grain load of 777. It is kind of strange how the different sabot and bullet combos work. At 80 grains both hit about the same point of impact. I just prefer a little more velocity for hunting so it will be the MMP 3 petals.