Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

power belts

Old 06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default power belts

my encore hates them things .what would re crowning the barrel do for me? I'm thinking of taking off 1/2 an inch or more of the barrel just to see if that makes a difference.
one time wile shooting power belts at the range i found one of them skirts stuck in the target a hundred yards from the bench. the only thing i could figure was that it got blown over the bullet and carriedon the bullet when it left the bore. the hole in the skirt was about 1/2 an inch....... weird
Old 06-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: power belts

I have a fried who has the skirts he dug out of deer, he was looking for the bullet but all he found was little chuncks of lead, neither one came out the far side. Since they shoot better than any thing else in his Omega hes hoping the new harder one have a better design. Lee
Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cataway

my encore hates them things .what would re crowning the barrel do for me? I'm thinking of taking off 1/2 an inch or more of the barrel just to see if that makes a difference.
one time wile shooting power belts at the range i found one of them skirts stuck in the target a hundred yards from the bench. the only thing i could figure was that it got blown over the bullet and carriedon the bullet when it left the bore. the hole in the skirt was about 1/2 an inch....... weird
I take it you like the powerbelts because they load easy. Since you're having trouble with the skirts, are you shooting Triple Se7en powder in large amounts?

Another thing is before you load the powerbelt, remove the plastic base and you will see a small lead spike off the conical. Put a dab of bore butter on that spike and then put the skirt back on. It will help shed the thing faster and better.

I really see no reason why you would shoot powerbelts out of your Encore. Instead get some Shockwaves and shoot something better. Unless you are restricted where you can not shoot sabots. In that even I would look into some of the other concicals out there on the market before I would pay the price of powerbelts... IMO.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

I found one of those skirts inside an elk and that elk was shot at 177 yards.This was a 348 aerotip in an Omega,115 T7. Unless I can find a better load that is what I am using this year. Co. has to be conical, I would like to use my White but so far have not found a hunting load.
Redclub
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

I would not recommend re-crowning your Encore barrel to get it to love Powerbelts (my very last choice in projectiles).

I would try a nice sabot or conical before I started carving on the barrel.

I have had exceptional results from these.

Hornady 250 & 300 gr SST
Horday, 250gr MAG
Hornady 385 & 410gr Great Plains Conical.

Tahquamenon
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Removing the flared-out QLA removes ease of loading -- nothing else. I classify thelast 1-1/2" of your muzzle as a "fake crown". It's there to ease loading -- has nothing to do with accuracy. In essence, you don't need to buy a crown protector with these systems. You can scrape the edges with your ramrod & it won't affect accuracyfor many-manyyears to come.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

WHUT!?

ORIGINAL: Redclub

Co. has to be conical, I would like to use my White but so far have not found a hunting load.
Redclub
Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I tol' him, UC, I tol' him. "Contact UC if you need some info on heavy conicals for your Untra Mag." I tol' him.
He's having trouble with the No Excuses falling out the barrel.

Redclub - contact UC - he'll help you

IM jaybe
Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jaybe

I tol' him, UC, I tol' him. "Contact UC if you need some info on heavy conicals for your Untra Mag." I tol' him.
He's having trouble with the No Excuses falling out the barrel.
Perhaps they sent him the wrong No Excuses --maybe the.500's instead of the .503's.

If that's what happened, then there's really "No Excuses" (pun intended)for the mistake. [][:-]
Old 06-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

UC knows all about my bullets falling out, I have some bullshop .504 coming plus I am looking to get a mic to make sure of the size. I didn't have a problem with the first 20 or so of the 460NE or the powerpunch, but then I had 3 out of 6 fall out of the barrel and the barrel was clean and fouled (3 shots).Plus I used both lubed and unlubed wads.
If I use this rifle I will only be able to shoot elk uphill. I will get this straightened out tho. You can go to the bank on that,Its way too good of a gun too not use it.
Ken

Quick Reply: power belts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.