Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

power belts

Old 06-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: power belts

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: cataway

my encore hates them things .what would re crowning the barrel do for me? I'm thinking of taking off 1/2 an inch or more of the barrel just to see if that makes a difference.
one time wile shooting power belts at the range i found one of them skirts stuck in the target a hundred yards from the bench. the only thing i could figure was that it got blown over the bullet and carriedon the bullet when it left the bore. the hole in the skirt was about 1/2 an inch....... weird
I take it you like the powerbelts because they load easy. Since you're having trouble with the skirts, are you shooting Triple Se7en powder in large amounts?

Another thing is before you load the powerbelt, remove the plastic base and you will see a small lead spike off the conical. Put a dab of bore butter on that spike and then put the skirt back on. It will help shed the thing faster and better.

I really see no reason why you would shoot powerbelts out of your Encore. Instead get some Shockwaves and shoot something better. Unless you are restricted where you can not shoot sabots. In that even I would look into some of the other concicals out there on the market before I would pay the price of powerbelts... IMO.
i really like powerbelts in my hawkins .50cal. good idea on lube under bullet, will try that.in a in-line, i would not use powerbelts.but inflintlock, i think they are just great. i dont spend a lot of money on them as i only use them for hunting deer not target. takes me about 6 shots to sight in my hawkins.i dont use my maxi-balls now as found better mouse trap. POWERBELTS.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Spike

my encore hates them things .what would re crowning the barrel do for me? I'm thinking of taking off 1/2 an inch or more of the barrel just to see if that makes a difference.
I have not shot powerbelts in an Encore but have tried to shoot bore size conicals (460 gr No Excuses) In two different Black diamonds and 1 Encore with lousy results. None would hit a washtub at 100 yds. In all the rifles the QLA was bored off center from .008 to .015.

Since the rifles would shoot 250 gr sabots to 3" TC would do nothing. Colorado requires conicals and does not allow sabots.

Out of frustration I sent the Encore off and had the QLA removed and now it is very accurate with conicals and Sabots.

Just measure the QLA with some calipers and check it out. If it is bored crooked I doubt the gun will shoot powerbelts or conicals accurately.

I know some of you have had good results with the QLA but there are many that have not and had them removed
Old 06-14-2006, 06:32 PM

I guess I'll echo the sentiments of what some have already posted. Unless you're required by law to use conicals, why bother? I too have an Encore and it will not shoot Powerbelts (the 295gr variety). T/C designed the Encore to shoot saboted projectiles. I cringe when I hear about people lopping off the first 1" of the barrel. I could see resorting to that in extreme cases, but not so you can just shoot powerbelts. If you really want to shoot bore sized conicals, look into White rifles. They were designed for that. Right tool for the right job.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Omega shoots them into a raged hole at 50 yds but I only check them in case I take a trip to some where where I have to use them. they have a trajectory like a soft ball.
I guess Doe gril expressed my opinion. Lee
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

i didnt read all the posts...but curious as to why you would rather have you gun smithed to shoot powerbelts when you could surely find another bullet to do the same and shoot better?? i know diffrent states have diffrent laws and requierments etc...but just wondering why not try something diffrent??
Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

i found one of them skirts stuck in the target a hundred yards from the bench. the only thing i could figure was that it got blown over the bullet and carriedon the bullet when it left the bore... weird
IF the plastic wad fails to separate from the slug portion as it should in the first 30 feet or so from the muzzle, there's just no telling where the thing will go. If you have a batch that the wads are stuck on "too good", changing the crown of your rifleain't gonna help 'nuthin'.!

I've recently begun to separate the wad from the bullet on the Powerbelts and put a little dab of light grease on the bullet stem (yes, that damn Bore Butter crap), reattach the wad, and rotate it to spread the grease around in the hole, hoping this would help them separate correctly. I think it works, but have not conducted any extensive testing, since I am on a flintlock/PRB kick these days!

The early plain-lead version of the Power Belt bullets that I tested years back, (then called Black Belt bullets), didn't seem to have this problem as much as they do now.....