Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Switching to loose powder

Old 06-08-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Switching to loose powder

I know I'll get alot of different opinions on this. I want to switch from pellets to loose powder so I can fine tune my groups in my T/C Omega, what powder do you guys think I should use.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Switching to loose powder

It's pretty hard to beat 777 for overall performance. Shockeys Gold is a little cleaner but I don't seem to get quite as good accuracy with my Omega,using it,but thats just mine. I lean slightly to 2F over 3F, 777 but that is just my experience, a little less accuracy with 3F, and a little harder to find. I know some people like 3F better.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bmac313

I am using T7-2f, 110 grains for 200 grain, 250/60, grain and 300 grain bullets - really works well for me....

Good luck in your choice...

Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Being an Omega I would start with Triple Se7en 2f and see how well the groups are and how bad the crud rings are. You could also try some American Pioneer Powder. People have reported excellent groups shooting that as well. Actually my best accuracy in most rifles (inlines) comes with Goex 3f but of course people claim Goex is too dirty to shoot.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

I've had great success with Black Mag'3 and 777 2fg & 3FG.

Also, Swiss 3FG is very good in an Omega with several projectiles.

My pet projectiles are:

Hornady SST both in 250 and 300 grain. (My favorite)
Hornady XTP 240 grain.
Hornady XTP Mag 250 grain.
Hornday 385 Grain Great Plains Conical.

Get yourself a good powder flask (Brass) and a measure that adjusts to 5 grain increments.

Loose powder is so much more flexible and cost effective over pellets.

M2c,

Tahquamenon
Old 06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Having tried the subs, Pyrodex, Cleanshot, Clearshot, American Pioneer, Pinnacle, I can say that real Goex Black Powder beats 'em all. WhatI like about Goex is consistant accuracy, and consistant ignition. As far as cleaning goes, you have to clean your ML after shooting, no matter what powder you use, they are all corrosive to some degree. Black cleans up with water, or any other commercial cleaner. Having used the above powders, I really don't see any difference in cleanup, from one to another, and every substitute I have tried has its own downside. Be it hangfire, crud ring, less velocity, or moisture absorbing. Give me Goex any day!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've used T7, Pyrodex, Clean Shot, and Clear Shot in addition to real black powder. My next substitute powder experiments will be with Pinnacle and Black Mag 3 - to see if they will work in a flintlock!
Old 06-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me it changes with the projectile more than with the rifle but that also changes from one to another. This is the way it goes with my omega
goex or swiss-lead bullets with out sabots
Prodex- heavy loads with lead bullets or sabots
Gold- light loads for light bullets in sabots
App- Best for clean accurate loads with all Shock Waves[ under and inch @100yd if I dont screw it up[FF]
Pinnicale so far so good have not finished testing yet.
777 makes it necessary to clean every shot; about the same velocity as APP almost as Acurrate as APP if you clean good every shot.
Lee
Old 06-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I've used T7, Pyrodex, Clean Shot, and Clear Shot in addition to real black powder. My next substitute powder experiments will be with Pinnacle and Black Mag 3 - to see if they will work in a flintlock!
Hey eldeguello,

Don't expect too much from BM'3 or any other subs and a rock lock. I tried BM'3 and yes, it did work-sort of. Using 4FG priming, the ignition time ranged from good tovery slow up to the point of hang-fires and no fires.
I believe Cayugad as tried Pinnacle and a flintlock, also with so so results.

Could have been my technique as I am not that versus with a flinter. On the other hand, Swiss 3FG main charge and Swiss 4FGprimingand I get exceptional ignition every time.

I would stick to traditional black powder and a flintlock.

Tahquamenon
Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Pinnacle 3f in my flinters was not the best experience. They claimed it would work in the pan as well as the breech. Well it will... if you are not fussy about the rifle going off the first, second, maybe even the third time. I had better luck with Pinnacle as the main load and Goex 4f as the pan prime. AIf you duplexed the Pinnacle with 4f it worked good. But that kind of defeats the whole reason for it.

After shooting a pound or two of Pinnacle, I decided that best thing for a flintlock is still Goex. It goes off excellent and gives excellent results. Although shooting Pinnacle in my cap locks was a good experience. I had some excellent accuracy with the Pinnacle in the traditional cap locks. Especially in the light .50 caliber rifles.

I have another pound of Black Mag 3 sitting at my brothers about 300 miles away (long story), and a couple pounds of Triple Se7en 3f along with a couple hundredsabots and projectiles and 2000 #11 caps... Now I have to wait a month before he can break free from his business and come visit.

I had one pound of Black Mag 3 friends and I invested in. They all came over one day and we just shot the pound off in our rifles for fun. I really never got any testing done with it. Although the Black Mag 3 shoots roundball excellent!! Again, out of cap locks. And we had a lot of fun throwing lead.