Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How far can I shoot Elk

Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Default RE: How far can I shoot Elk

I would stay inside of 125 yards. If you have a laser rangefinder, have a tight shooting load, and check the drop under field conditions; it is possible to shoot farther with a calculated holdover. I personally can't shoot well enough with traditional open sights to try a shot beyond 125 or so. Shot an elk last year with peep sights at 150 yards, though,with a big conical - worked out well. Used a backline hold. Hit a little high in the lungs. Plenty of thump.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I am going to try some 535gr No Excuses Conicals. I would like to try some Buffalo Bullets but I do not know if I want to try the 435gr Hollow base round nose conicals or the 460gr flat base round nose. What do you think? I am also debating about the 430gr Maxi-Balls. I could just try em all but I am not sure if I want to spend all of that money. I mainly want to try the No Excuses and one of the Buffalo Conicals. Please help me decide what Buffalo Bullet to try.

Thanks alot!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to get good accuracy with a 426 (I believe it was) Buffalo Bullet Conical. Now granted this wasmany years ago. I stopped using them after shooting a deer in the front shoulder and the expansion that conical was able to achieve produced a little more waste then I wanted. I should have waited and tucked it behind the shoulder, but things were not going my way that day. I am sure they would work well on elk.