Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

To Peep or Ghost, that is the Question!?!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To Peep or Ghost, that is the Question!?!

UC

Wish someone would get one of those XSSights Weaver backups or the NECG rear peep.
Show me what these are - I live deep in the west - not sure they have made it out here yet...

Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader
Here's the Weaver backups ... http://www.xssights.com/store/catalog.pdf. Just look for the backup sights section. And here is the NECG ala Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=111883. I'm leaning towards the Williams though as the Lyman 57SME just seems too bulky for hunting, but it's probably just fine for target shooters. Note the Williams costs $37ish while the Lyman costs $57ish and is a peep only, etc.

Redclub
What height front sight did you end up going with here dude? Also, what's the max weight projectile you're shooting that needs this shorter front sight?

lemoyne
You've got my interest here my man! What is the new shotgun light gathering front sight? Are you talking about a light emitting diode as opposed to dioade? Sorry for my newbie undies showing ...

stratofisher1
I'm with you man!! After years of service rifle competition using rear peeps, I'm most comfortable using them on my iron sights only hunting rig. I have a 30/30 carbine with a blade rear sight and I can't use it at 100yd targets to save my sorry @ss ...

cayugad
I too am most comfortable harvesting game closer rather than farther. Yet I'm also comfortable shooting iron sights 200, 300, even 600 yards out under (for the most part) controlled conditions. Hunting conditions I see are from 25-50yds out to 100-150yds and occassionally pushing 200yds in the long clearings. Elk on the other hand are on the extremes.

Ok guys, cheers!
phil

Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

The front sight I ended up with was .250 Williams. It also has a smaller fibre optic which I feel is nice. I was shooting the 460NE and wanted to sight in at 120 yards. I can go to any size conical now but might have a problem with sabots (might be too low). The 460 NE sometimes fall out of my barrel, Did it three times Tuesday both on a clean barrel and a fouled barrel
Redclub
Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Redclub
Thanks for the info. What is your point of aim now (flat tire, dead center, or top of the bull)? And what is the point of impact at 120yds using most conicals you shoot?

thanks again!
phil
Old 06-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Typical Buck

My guns were both the Lyman 57SME and 57SMET. For just hunting I prefer the SME because the adjuster knobs don't stick out as much. Ialso have a couple of the Williams WGRS sights and find them to be very servicable, they don't have the range of elevation adjustment of the Lyman but once dialed in are just fine. The Williams FP is also a good sight. I've found that I like the gost ring apeture. I just remove the regular apeture and use the sight that way. Shots out to 120 yds no problem.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

The point of impact at 120 yards is dead center.
I use a large target with a bright yellow duct tape cross and center the front bead with the cross. When I get the load finalized than I will go to a full size cut-out of an elk. I shoot up to 200 yards with that.
Redclub
Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I really think it is all a matter of preference.Some people absoluty hate peeps. I have rifles with Williams Peeps, Thompson Center Peeps, and Lyman Peeps. I find them all very accurate but they also have drawback when light gets low. The best is the Lyman Peep. I can see clearest in low light with that peep. My Thompson Center Peep when the lighting is good is the most accurate of all my peeps.

I seriously considered a Lyman 57SMET for the Ultra Mag but after going with removable mounts on a Nikon Pro Staff I see no need for it. The fiber optic sights are fine out to 100 yards for me, and that's about as far as I care to shoot with open sights. Also where I hunt that's about as far as I ever would have to shoot.

Many years ago, we had a refrigerator cardboard box we set up in a field. With a Thompson Center Peep I was able to shoot out to 150 yards once I learned the drop of the ball, off a bench rest. We taped a white Paper Plate to the carton and it stuck out like a sore thumb. So peeps are a good thing for taking longer shots I guess.

Hey Cayugad, How do you like the Nikon? I love my Nikon Buckmaster scope. When I go back tothe Tasco on my Knight Bighorn rifle, I am wondering who turned out the lights and took the carity out of things. Makes me want to go get my eyes checked!! I can see another scope purchase for the Knight in the very near future!!! Probably before this coming season. May consider one of those Busnell Banners. Anything has got to be better than the Tasco!!! Hope you enjoy the new optics and the new Ultra Mag!!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I really like the Nikon Pro Staff. The 2-7x32 seems like a perfect shotgun/muzzleloader scope actually. I like the scope a lot although I really have nothing bad to say about the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn or the Sightron for that matter. I have old Tasco scopes on some of my Centerfire rifles. They are 20 years old and have never changed in the least from when they were installed on the different rifles....
Old 06-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Like you, I don't have a complaints about the Tasco scopes accuracy. I own 5 or 6 of them and have had no complaints in that department. It's just that once you get better optics, its hard to go back. If I don't have the funds for another Nikon, I will probably get a Busnell Banner. I really likeBushnells optics. I own an old 3-9X60 Bushnell Scope that was the top of the line before they came out with the Elite Series. I love that Scope!! I have taken many a deer with the rifle it is on. BTW, I had a Tasco 3-9X40 on the rifle for the first ten years I owned it and was very satisfied with it.