Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bore Butter

I know this will turn into a big topic but please don't start arguing. Just post why you use bore butter if you use it and why you don't use it if you don't use it. No comments ofanyone elses postsplease. That is all I want.

I am planning on using bore butter. If I use grease cutting soap when cleaning it will take out the bore butter I applied last time I cleaned it. Then when I am done I could dry the HOT barrel up really good and re-apply so it doese not build up.

I am going to try it just to see what I think of it. It won't hurt to try it if I do it the right way. At the end of each my season when I clean the gun after I shoot it for the last time all the bore butter will come out like it would when I normally clean but instead or re-applying it I will use Birchwood Casey's Sheath for when I know It will be a while before I shoot it again.

I know that might sound a little wierd to some of you but it works for me.

Have a good day everyone!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter

For many years I used bore butter to "protect my barrel." I constantly got tobacco stain looking patches before shooting and swabbing the barrel. I also had bouts of terrible accuracy from time to time. You just never knew what was going to happen until you shot. Finally the accuracy went completely out of the rifle I was hunting with. I removed the bore butter and the accuracy was right back.

I will say that the way Sabotloader and Roundball use bore butter I think will work well. They are not really seasoning the barrel as much as they are using bore butter. They also believe in strict barrel conditions before application of BB.

I tried using bore butter again on a barrel a short time ago. It seems to be working although I began getting the stained patches again. At that point I removed the BB and went back to a quality gun oil.

Bore butter inhibits rust, just like it says on the tube. I used Birchwood Casey Sheath that prohibits the formulation of rust...
Old 06-05-2006, 04:20 PM

mmmmm...........bore butter..............................parkaaaaaayyyy yy!

sorry; couldn't resist.
why would anyone argue about bore butter?????????????????????????

i don't gotta rifle (yet) but i been usin shortning, hoppes gun oil, and wd40on my cap&ball revolver.

could ya use shortning on a rifle??????????????????????????

what gun oil are ya's usin???????????????????????

i also got a little bucket fer water, dish-soap, and vinegar ta spot/clean while im shootin. i don't like too many solvents around the house if i don't need em. got me a $1.14 can a carberator cleaner fer the nipples too.
is this alright fer cleanin??????????????????????????????????????

hope i didn't hijack yer thread, but it all seemed relevant.

early
Old 06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp Shooter

Tyring to stay with in your guidelines for comment... I use BB because I know it reduces fouling, both in my ML's and my shotguns (trap guns). I think the metod of application makes all the difference in the world, of cousr I think I apply it correctly....

BB will cause leaching if the bore is not perfectly clean... It will leach the old burnt or non-burnt powder from behind the riflings and out of the pores. This might be the "tobacco" stain that cayugad is talking about. I have had it happen in the past also but never really got to concerned - I have actually been hoping to get one again - I want to run one up to the University to have it analized.

I have some old sidehammers that have not been used for years in the back room they have been treated with BB but when I check them I am still getting clean patches....

One last thing I do not depend on BB to prevent rust or seal the barrel - it is just part of the treatment...

If you would like to read the whole process let me know I will send you my procedure....
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: early

mmmmm...........bore butter..............................parkaaaaaayyyy yy!

sorry; couldn't resist.
why would anyone argue about bore butter?????????????????????????

i don't gotta rifle (yet) but i been usin shortning, hoppes gun oil, and wd40on my cap&ball revolver.

could ya use shortning on a rifle??????????????????????????

what gun oil are ya's usin???????????????????????

i also got a little bucket fer water, dish-soap, and vinegar ta spot/clean while im shootin. i don't like too many solvents around the house if i don't need em. got me a $1.14 can a carberator cleaner fer the nipples too.
is this alright fer cleanin??????????????????????????????????????

hope i didn't hijack yer thread, but it all seemed relevant.

early
using shortening as a patch or conical lube will work but the problem you can run into in hot weather is the shortening can start to melt and soak into the powder charge. Also if you shoot to fast and heat the barrel up it can melt the shortening and again contaminate the powder charge.

Soap and water have been cleaning rifles for a long time. Although soap and water will not remove plastic or lead fowling in the case of rifles. For that you need a stronger cleaner. Since you like homemade cleaners make some MAP which is equal parts of murphy's oil soap, isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. A word of warning though, peroxide will cause flash rusting in many rifles.

The carberator cleaner or brake cleaner will work fine for the stubborn fowling and even the plastic fowling. Actually the new sabots have really improved.. there is little to no plastic fowling that I can find anymore.

As for what kind of gun you usin... take your pick and I probably have it. WD40 works good but have you ever noticed it varnish over on parts when used too much?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 PM

As for what kind of gun you usin... take your pick and I probably have it. WD40 works good but have you ever noticed it varnish over on parts when used too much?
[/quote]
(1858 new army rem)i havn't noticed any yet. but i only use a little bit in the trigger & hammerrecess. i don't plan on usin sabots when i get a rifle. glad you said that about the shortning. i'll definetly invest in some lube when i get a rifle. i didn't like the way the bore looked after a week a storage (i think the shortning solidified in there a little bit) so i removed it and used hoppes oil. i'll have ta keep an eye on the wd40.

early
Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bore Butter works fine until you make a mistake using it as a bore rust preventer. If you feel you are a perfect cleaner of MLs& never leave moisture residue in your rifling, then bore buttermay bethe ticket for you.

However, if you prescribe to being perfect/staying perfect, then God must be your real name...lol

Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,I guess I see things a bit different. BB works with certain set ups certain sabots and not others. For instance if you like 100grs or less loads and TC Breakaway sabots you can dip the felt wad in melted BB and lay it on paper towel to dry;if your gun is totally clean of other oils and most peoples are not even when they think they are; you can shoot accurate for about 30 shots depending for one thing on weather or not you have a stainless barrel. I like it for round balls in my Hawkens; it did not work well for lead bullets for me. Lee
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter
"...post why you use bore butter..."
I use bore butter (Natural Lube 1000)becauseI don't like wiping between shots and except on verydry low humidity days it lets me shoot entire range sessions without wipingt the bore.

I've used nothing but TC's Natural Lube 1000 in every ML I've owned since the late 80's...Knight MK85,several TC Hawken caplocks, and severalTC Hawken Flintlocks.

Best thing since sliced bread...
Old 06-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I like bore butter but do not use it much anymore. Not that the product let me down but my tastes changed a bit. I now use moosemilk for my ball patch lube so I use a lot less of the stuff.

I still use it for all conicals I shoot and for field protection after a quick cleaning but do not store any rifles with it at all anymore.

The main reason I do not use it for storage is I changed to an aggresive cleaning routine that gets me down to raw steel so I protect with good gun oil.

Quick Reply: Bore Butter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.