Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 06-10-2006, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Bore Butter

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

If bore butter is not good for storing our guns then why do some people store guns for a long time with it that they rarely shoot and don't have problems?
I'm going to make a general statement not aimed at any specific individual:

The answer to your question is really very simple...how many times have you ever...ever...seen anyone post that they screwed up?
That they didn't get a barrel 100% clean?
Or 100%dry?
Or 100% coated with lube?

What is typically heard is that"this lube is no good" or "that powder is no good" or "those patches are no good".....orthis, that, or the other.

One or two individuals come along and say they "tried it once" and their barrel rusted...then they start bad-mouthing the product like it's the problem.

In reality, bore butter has beenin use for a couple decades I know of...it's been successfully used by 1000's...probably 10's of 1000's...of shooters...heck, I've used it constantly for 15+ years myself with a dozen and a half muzzleloaders...just did another one this morning after this week's Saturday morning range trip.

So that's the answer to your puzzlelment as to why "the product" works for some and not others...because it not a "product" problem...it's a "process" problem...one of the steps is not being done correctly...and in those cases I'm certain the user doesn't even realize it.

But the bottom line is this.....It is impossible for a piece of metal that is 100% clean, 100% dry, and 100% coated with a lube to rust...coated with ANY lube...bore butter, vaseline, lithium grease, or whatever.

IMO, the biggest mistake people make using bore butter is not using enough of it...it's thick and does not run/migrate around on metal surfaces to eventually cover everything...it only covers what you put it on...if every square inch of the bore is not plastered with bore butter, whatever areas areleftexposed to the air will begin torust.

I take a popcicle stick or putty knife and spread extra lube (from a tube) onto the lubing patch...and do that 3-4 times until I'm certain the bore is heavily gooped up with it...then I just dry patch it out before my next shoot, etc.....it's not a product problem...it's a process problem.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter

The brown crud you get out of the bore after storing with BB is not nessisarily rust. The stuff is sitting there in the barrel for months do you think it is going to stay yellow? As I posted earlier I still use the stuff just not for storage of my rifles only because I have changed cleaning methodes. It did work fine for me though and I have nothing bad to say about the product.