Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter

Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM

Default RE: Bore Butter

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

The main reason I do not use it for storage is I changed to an aggresive cleaning routine that gets me down to raw steel so I protect with good gun oil.
Actually, Iscrub mine to the bare raw metal after every use with steaming hot soapy water including a couple dozen strokes with a bore brush, and a hot water rinse to prevent any buildup whatsoever...still use NL1000 as the bore lube...Iplaster it in there over every square inch of surface area...my MK85 had laid in it's case for a few years that way before I sold it and it still looked like new.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
I use BB because I know it reduces fouling
----------------------------------------------------
BB will cause leaching if the bore is not perfectly clean
That is the reason I like bore butter to. It reduces fouling.

What is leaching?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp Shooter

leeching (spelling)is the process of over time the BB disolving residue from the bore, either plastic or old powder. The BB forces the material out of the pores or from behind the riflings... THE big thing & the MUST not do is not to trap water in the bore - Having a hot bore or removing water with alcohol as cayugad does can take care of that...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't use Bore Butter, because I did use it once according to directions, and got the ONLY CASE of after-rust in my bore that I have ever had with muzzleloaders, and I have been using black powder and BP substitutes since 1953.

Some unkind Bore Butter advocate had the effrontry to intimate that my bore was not clean when I lubed it up with that crap! He was wrong!

Two quarts of boiling water, followed by four or five several dry patches removes ALL POWDER fouling, leaving nothing but hot, dry bare steel (three quarts for cal. .58 & above), awaiting application of a rust preventative. (I don't know what is needed to get plastic streaking out, but suspect Bore Butter won't do this. You probably need a solvent like Shooters' Choice.)

I had used Birchwood-Casey SHEATH as a rust preventative from about 1963, prior to trying that damned BoreButter, and have gone back to using SHEATH! I've never had ANY rust in ANY GUN when using it! Modern rifle or ML!! This includes three years in Alaska, where EVERYTHING RUSTS!!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have been using bore butter from 1971 to now.no rust i ever saw but i clean after every shooting with water/soap.i did get brown patchs all those years .NOW, i only use bore butter with roundballs.why, i makes it easier to push ball in and fouling is reduced. i clean after 5 th shot as my rb get hard to push in.my patchs are bb.i stopped using maxi-balls for hunting and now using powerbelts,so i dont need the bore butter for hunting and i use clean barrel.95 % of my shooting is rb at range. 1 week before deer season, i load up the powerbelts and sight in. takes about 6 shots as they are not cheap.then, after season, back to rb and bore butter. for storing i use sheaths, no more bb even tho i never had any rust that i could see with bb in 35 years.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:38 AM

I've been useing it for many years in ML'rs, cap n ball revolvers,BP cartridge rifles and revolvers, no trouble with rust or any so-called build up. To be honest, if the gun is really clean and dried, plain old Remoil will keep it from rusting as well as it does for smokless shooting guns.Anything that will keep the air off of metal will prevent or slow down rust but if any kind of salt or corrosive is between the lube and the metal, you will still experience some rust-might just take a little longer to form.

Doug
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Doug S

I've been useing it for many years in ML'rs, cap n ball revolvers,BP cartridge rifles and revolvers, no trouble with rust or any so-called build up. To be honest, if the gun is really clean and dried, plain old Remoil will keep it from rusting as well as it does for smokless shooting guns.Anything that will keep the air off of metal will prevent or slow down rust but if any kind of salt or corrosive is between the lube and the metal, you will still experience some rust-might just take a little longer to form.

Doug
Exactly.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Bore Butter is fine for a shooting (patches, conical) and in the field lubricant.Iuse it and other natural lubes all the time.

However, I would not use nor recommend using it as a metal protectant or long-term rust preventative. It's not to be trusted for long term storage as bore butter relies on barrel heat as a result of hot water cleaning to allow it to flow to every surface area. However that is not a reliable method for lubricant distribution and coverage. Also, the use of BB can result in a buildup within the bore that eventually causes reduced accuracy unless you srub the bore to bare metal every time you clean, and then you run the risk of flash rusting. Plus as mentioned, if you happen to trap moisture under the BB, then rust will take place.

Some folks love BB as a long term storage lube. That's fine, I certainly don't want to change anyone's practices and as long as it's used on your ML-ery not mine.

For me for long term (more than a day or so): Otis 0-85 Ultra Bore inthe boreand Clenzoil outside the bore.

M2C,

Tahquamenon
Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

when i use real hot water with soap to clean the bore butter out of barrel, i get rust on my patchs. when i use luke warm water or cold water,i get no rust on patchs.i guess you folks call it FLASH RUST.question is,should you being using real hot water to clean bore butter out or luke warm water. hmmmmmm
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

I use and have always used boiling or as close to it as I can get water and laundry (1tbs/gal) soap.

The hotter the better.

Wear a heavy glove or use a towel to hold the barrel.

The brown coming out on a patch may be the "Seasoning" or otherwise burnt/baked on bore butter. Might not be rust.

After the hot water rinse, I also always run some alcohol patches in the bore to help rapidly evaporate moisture followed by dry patches and then Long Term Metal Protectant.

m2c

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: Bore Butter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.