Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex?

Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Winchester Apex?

Anyone have this gun or any opinions on this particular gun?Not really looking for comparisons,just if it is a decent gun or not.Thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Apex?

I believe it is the same gun as the CVA Kodiak which has had more positive responses than negative. If you are not sensitive to the Spanish barrel flap then the rifle is probably worth the money. It is an Omega copy and the one I had a chance to handle was fairly well built. Not the same quality as the Omega but certainly worth the asking price if that is the type of muzzleloader that you want. There was a tendency for the finger to get pinched by the trigger guard when opening the action. The stock needs to be smoothed and the sharp edge removed before you cut something when opening the action.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

The Winchesters have a stainless barrel
Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranchand99

Anyone have this gun or any opinions on this particular gun?Not really looking for comparisons,just if it is a decent gun or not.Thanks!
It really depends on the price tag -- plus how many powder grains are you seeking to burn per shot????
Old 06-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys.I'm going to go with the 150grw/pellets,and I am going to mount a scope on it.I have a traditions buckhunter pro,but it only has a 22" barrel.

I'm looking at the black/blued .45 cal.I plan on shooting 225 gr Aero tip powerbelts.(If it likes them).I was going to get an omega,but decided not to since this gun was $100 less.($199 vs $299 for black/blued).That's $100 more dollars that can go toward a setof mounts,and adecent scope.

I think I'll have to give it a go,and I'll come back,and let everyone know how I like it.I'll surely check on the problems MLKieth stated.Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976730078.htmis a .45

989-269-GUNS Randy's Hunting Center
Old 06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranchand99

Thanks guys.I'm going to go with the 150grw/pellets,and I am going to mount a scope on it.I have a traditions buckhunter pro,but it only has a 22" barrel.

I'm looking at the black/blued .45 cal.I plan on shooting 225 gr Aero tip powerbelts.(If it likes them).I was going to get an omega,but decided not to since this gun was $100 less.($199 vs $299 for black/blued).That's $100 more dollars that can go toward a setof mounts,and adecent scope.

I think I'll have to give it a go,and I'll come back,and let everyone know how I like it.I'll surely check on the problems MLKieth stated.Thanks again!
I do not recommend any CVA, Traditions or Winchester for 101+ grain powder loads. They are not built to take that sort of repeated punnishment.

Buy a T/C or Knight instead. They withstand better -- overall are very accurate with 120-150 gr. loads & have much better warranties.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ranchand99

Sorry for jumping in here kinda late, I am not as concerned about the brand of rifle you have chosen as the caliber you are choosing. There really has been some problems with accuracy in the 45 caliber line, the 50's seem to shoot just fine and some 45's but - make sure you are getting it from a dealer that - if things do not work out you can with him to get you some thing else...

I am not concerned if you, as an experianced shooter,are planning shooting 150 grains inpellets as recommended by the manufacturer - if you are shooting loose check your manual. While some guns and some bores will shoot 150 grain loads they are not always the most accurate - so keep that in mind also. I have a CVA firebolt - 50 cal - and while I have shot a several150 grain loads.. experimenting,from it I did get the best accuracy from a 100 grain load with a 300 grain XTP.

Just want to add another thought - if you were are considering an Omega, but the extra $100 is a hold a couple of points for thought. 1) You can not beat TC's lifetime - no questions asked warranty - that alone could be worth the extra $$$.... + I think but can not remember the site you can get a blue/back Omega for $260... I'll look and get back to you - the name excapes me right now but I know Underclocked will no it....

Here is one place but I think there is one less expensive than this...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000318898

ops that is a 50 - here is a 45

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000318921

Good luck and certainly have fun...
Old 06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

I was not aware of the warranty that T/C offers,that may change my mind.

Triple Se7en,what is the difference of material they use to make the guns?Are the barrels a different grade or something?I was under the impression that if the manufacturer says 150gr..it was built to handle 150gr.I put a magnum kit on my traditions,but only shoot 100gr loose select R/S.It's real thick down here,so I think 100yd shots are going to be on the far side of my range.If I can get a decent pattern (3" or so)at 100yds with 150gr pellets that is what I'll use.Is that a reasonable goal?If it doesn't hold a good pattern at 100yds,I'll go to loose powder,and start dropping the load 10gr at the time.

I can't shoot open sights too accurately past 65yds.The fiber optic starts to cover a larger area.Scopes are going to be legal during primitive weapons season starting this year,and I wanted something with a longer barrel,and the .45 cal shoots very fast,flat,and has plenty of knockdown.

Thanks for the help,and info..Keep it coming!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Bullet for bullet and load for load a 50 cal. will do anything a 45 will do and you have a much better selection of bullets to chose from. If you are only shooting out to 100 yds. why do you need a 150 gr. load? I have dropped deer on the spot at 160 yds. with 100 grs. of 777. And the recoil is much more tolerable.
If you want a 45 I have a Knight MK85 laminate you can have for $135

Quick Reply: Winchester Apex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.