Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex?

Old 06-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Apex?

Speed,and energy is greater with the 150gr loads.Faster it is the less it drops.Most shots will be less than 100yds,but I may set up on a clearcut,and take a long shot.I'm going w/powerbelts no matter what.I almost threw my traditions buck hunter pro away until I found them.I have killed several with my traditions,but I just don't think it would be accurate past 100yds,b/c of the short 22" barrel.If I buy a new gun I'm not going to half-step it,but I don't want to sell everything to buy one either.

Do you have a pic of that knight?How long is the barrel on it?I want something with a 28"+ barrel.Thanks again guys.

I was under the impression that the .45 cal was the hot ticket for long range.[&:]
Old 06-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

ranchand99

I was under the impression that the .45 cal was the hot ticket for long range.[&:]
I can not argue with this statement, because I do not have enough facts... but I will tell you I am shoot a 10mm 200 grain Hornady XTP @ 2200 fps secondwith 110 grains of T7-2floose powder.It is extremly accurate and will reach out there a long ways.

Most people, certainly not all, are shooting the 250 grain SST/Shockwave to 200 yards with extremly good accuracy and energy... I think I have a Ballistics chart for the 250 - I'll include it...

Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

ranchand99

Should have included one for a power belt also... this is for a 245 grain

Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

PM'd ya ranchhand99
Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 PM

I have one and it shoots very good at 100 yards...with 150 grains it does not shoot as well....,...this gun shoots with 100.....the book says nothing over 120...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:10 AM

i too have this muzzleloader, and so does my dad. for the money i think it is a very nice gun. i also shoot 100 grains of 777 with powerbelt aero tips. for me it gets the job done, and was affordable. i just went up to gander mountain and saw one on clearance for $170, which kinda makes me angry cause i paid $300 for mine. but oh well.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:19 PM

cva,winchester, traditions not good for 100+grains of blackpower? LOL give me a break. i shoot a winchester X-150 and use 150grains of pyrodex RS and have zero problems. It has a 26" fluted stainless steel barrel. I shoot 245 grain power belts and its the best muzzleloader ive shot. I dropped a2 doeslast year at 146 and another at 148 yards with it, Open sights and off hand. CVA/Winchester is a great company to deal with. I had an old cva blazer " cva's first inline" i accidently stripped the nipple plug and they said send it to us and we'll send you a referbished .50/209 inline! You cant go wrong with them! I also own a traditions kentucky classic flintlock rifle in .50 cal, That thing out shoots my TC percussion Renegade! Get either the apex or X150. i own the x150 and it will be the last inline i will ever own!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Speed,and energy is greater with the 150gr loads

This will always be true, but not always needed. Accuracy will almost certainly be less, with 150gr powder/pellet load.

Most shots will be less than 100yds

...at which distance, 90-100gr powder and a 300gr XTP will kill deer quite dead

I was under the impression that the .45 cal was the hot ticket for long range

I've heard the same thing, but I have heard much grumbling about probs with .45.... and I don't think they offer any substantial advantage over a .50

I think the 80/20 rule applies for muzzleloading, or maybe the 95/05 rule: you can put a lot of extra effort/$ into getting a few extra yards & better paper ballistics, which in the real world of the deer woods are almost never is required, and rarely pay off. But then, I've never killed a deer past about 90 yards - often can't see much further than that - and at that distance a pedestrian XTP on top of 90-100gr of BP/BP substitute is quite deadly.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 PM

150 grains out of my APEX does not shoot as well as 100. It still shoots good do not get me wrong but I keep it at 100...

Powerbelts and TC Shockwaves shoot the best. the group is about the same

I have shoot deer with both and they both do a great job
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I will say is I have shot deer to 200 yards with loads other than max. I have found absolutely no use for 150 gr charges in mine or others MLs, as accuracy decline is not worth a little less bullet drop. IMHO if you want to shoot to 200 yards most inlines with 240-300 class bullet and the most used 100 gr area of loose powder will get it done!!! However far more is dependant on the shooter!!!One mustput forth the required time/effort and work to be truly proficent at the further ranges. One thing many forget is the rest and conditions in the field - shooting off a bench at optimal conditions isn't all that difficult but add the hunting/field elements into the mix and then you find a few more hickups. I will say 150 yards is where I draw the line for everyday max range (but much prefer 100), if a solid rest, yardage known and conditions are right I may attempt the longer shot. I practice at 200 a lot and drew this conclusion from my own experiences, while I have confidence in ability and equipment I simply don't think a ML is a 200 yard gun for all and certainly stuffing more powder down her doesn't always make sense either (in practical or real terms).

As far as the apex from what I have seen nothing wrong with the rifle but I also wouldn't suggest more than 100 ish for top end loads. While it may work for some, others have been hurt on their first try.. If you want to try upper loads look at something else ie: TC, Knight, Savage, etc. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Winchester Apex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.