Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Underclocked
Thanks for the information. Hopefully, I'll get one of the Ultra Mags that come w/ the percussion hammer, otherwise I have the email into Doc White. So I take it the RWS #1075 caps fit into the Ultra Mag regardless of wings or wingless? I'll also look into the new Remington 11s if I come across them too.

sabotloader
Yes, that's how I bought the Hornady's from Cabelas - although I got the 300gr which come in fifty packs for $10.99. Where do you get the 240gr or 250gr for $11/$12 per 100ea? Cabelas had them for $19.99 and $15.99, 240gr XTP-MAG/250gr HP-XTP respectively. And yup, I'd love to peek through an experienced ML shooter'sgear bag.

I'm getting more excited by the minute.

cheers,
phil
Old 06-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

On my Ultra-mag the RWS primers are very hard to use I just cannot get them on very far. I get lots of sparks out the plug. Remingtons work real well.
Ever since my old trap shooting days I don't trust cci products. You could always count on one or two out of a thousand that would not go off. Of course that was 25 years ago. For all I know they might make them all. I know .17 mag shells are all made by CCI even Hornadies.
Ken
Old 06-06-2006, 10:19 AM

philnie, you received that gun yet????? If not you must be dyin' over there. Come on over and shoot mine.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

cascadedad
NO, I haven't received my Ultra Mag just yet! Theyshipped out late last week from the Midvale UT store via ground so I don't expect them until later this week. Although, I'm hoping they'll be there when I get home today of course ... It'd be great to be shooting my ML this weekend! Here's to hope.

Redclub
Ok, thanks for the extra info on the RWS 1075 caps fitting a little hard in the Ultra Mag #11 nipple ...

cheers,
phil
Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM

I was absolutely shocked to pick mine up on Saturday. They also shipped out of Midvale. They shipped on the Wed. 31st and hitthe Kennewick store on Fri. 2nd. I just had them shipped to the store rather than my house.

Maybe you will get them today. Better rush home!!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

cascadedad
They arrived today ... Nice! One ML had 4 tubes and one had 5 tubes of projectiles. Both had the socket and allen head tools as well. Both MLs look to be in the same great shape - nothing dinged or broken at first glance. That laminate stock sure is 'purty!' LOL Let the funbegin ... I will definitely come over to shoot with you one of these days - I just have the ML now though - none of the other tools/supplies have made it here yet.

cheers,
phil
Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

philnie

I really think you are going to be alright with the laminate stock in all weather... Laminated wood does not move near as much as regualr wood stock in temperature extremes.... I have not sealed mine with wax yet as cayugad has, I bought it but have not applied it. But the other night when i was cleaning, again, I thought what the heck I wanted to know - so I threw it in the bathtub to see what the water might do... it floated so i had to sink it - I left it in there about an hour checking it every-so-often... When I pulled it out water bubbled up on the stock and on the inside - I am thinking it has been water sealed, but I will wax mine just in case... I did oil with linseed the other night but it would not sink in so I ended up wiping it off...

Old 06-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloaderis my hero! I can't imagine ever dunking any wood stock I own in the bathtub ... let alone sinking in it for an hour, yikes!

On another related note - this laminate stocked Ultra Mag sure feels heavier than 7.5lbs! More like 8lbs and change ... note to self: get out the scale and measure this beast tonight.

cheers,
phil
Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0001223723 that's what I used to seal my laminated stock.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 PM

I stand corrected on the TC cheap shots, they are 240 grain. Like I said though for the price they do an excellent job at taking deer size game. My brother and I both have had good luck with them and they dont empty your wallet buying them. The trauma on the doe I killed looked as if it were made by a high powered rifle round such as the 30-06. I had complete penetration broad sided through the lungs at bout 20 yrds with an exit hole about the size of a quarter. At that range, if it was going to blow up it should have.

Quick Reply: White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.