Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

The RWS musket caps come with and without the "wings". #11s are pretty normal. If you can't find those, try the new Remington 11s.

You'll have an extra bolt if your rifle happens to come with the cap bolt. One of mine did.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I am thinking the cheap shots would be to thin for the White unless you change sabots... It probably comes with a 24 and I would think you will need a 12...

Philnie

The cheap shot is a good target shooter - but I am not sure it will serve you as a deer shooter. I have very limited experiance with all lead bullets, but I am thinking at the velocity you will shooting them from your White they might blow on contact especially with a bone. I think for a pure lead bullet you will need to go heavier.

Somebody with more experiance than I make a comment. I have always been nder the impression shooting lead bullets heavier is better. The 240 would probably work great if you slowed it weight down like a lead ball but at 2000 fps I think it might go to heck on contact.... just thinking I do not know.... If the 240 would work it surely would be the answer for Washington hunters....

Old 06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Good point, Mike. I'm definitely looking forward to this year's hunting season so we can see some pictures of recovered bullets from animals. I'mespeciallyinterested in seeing what some of these larger all lead bullets look like. I've seen the promo's that the manufacturers show, but I think I'll put more stock in what the guys and gals on here show (know what I mean?).
I sure hope everybody's going to be willing to dig through some guts to recover them

IM jaybe
Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

The way that White shoots anything I just have to try them. As for a good projectile on deer, a pure lead hollow point like the Cheap Shot should expand excellent in a deer size critter. I would not worry about shooting a deer with one. Especially with a good powder charge behind it.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Thanks, on another board the discussion has been going the other direction that small lead hollow points will not do the job - relating to to the failure of Power Belts and I believe cheap shots were mention, but this was along time ago on Graybeard - until you get into the 300+ weight range. Really not much difference between a PowerBelt and a cheap shot...

Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM

I used the TC cheap shots last season for the first time and I couldnt have asked for better performance especially at 5.99 a pack from Cabelas. They were the 250 gr. ahead of 100 grains ff APP out of my stainless MDM Quicshooter rifle. I shot a very large doe at 20 yards with complete penetration and extreme upset to the lungs. Exit hole was about the size of a quarter.She went about 35 yards before expiring. My brother used them also with good results. He kiilled several deer until he went to the Hornady shockwaves. He did this only because he ran out of the cheap shots and couldnt find any in his area.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

AmericanPioneer

Do they make a 250 grain? I thought it was 240... I think it would be great if they a reliable bullets - I would much prefer a fast, flat, and light projectile.

Anybody else got some first hand knowledge?

Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Philnie, I was in the Kennewick Sportsman's Warehouse on Saturday. The only #11 caps they had were the CCI Magnums. The guy said they normally stock the others, but are out right now. I used the CCI's and they worked fine for me. Will get the others before hunting season.

Let me know when you are planning on coming over. The best bet would be to come over on Friday afternoon and go to Sportsman'swhen you get here. Then get up and out shooting pretty early. Beat the others to the spot and TYPICALLY, there is less wind in the morning. Less could be more, if you've ever been here!!!!

My wife is a nurse. She is working, teaching clinicals for WSU and also taking Nurse Practitioner courses. Needless to say,my schedule revolves around her schedule and the 6 kids. I only had 4 kids until Saturday when I picked up the twins!!!!!!!

Let us know when your new arrival shows up.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader
Yes, I was thinking the same thing - once I got my new ML sorted out that is. Lower the powder charge due to the Cheap Shots being "only" 240gr and still get a decent shooting projectile for cheaper than the Hornady/Nosler sabot combos! I mean at $3.99 per 20ea at Cabelas, its 2/3rds the cost and for sixty of them at that. Should be less powder to shoot, easier on the recoil ... what's not to like? Time will tell if this all works out though - from my 30/30 and 30-06 hunting days using Remington soft points I can't imagine why this all lead projectile wouldn't be deadly on deer sized game if the guy behind the trigger did his part.

jaybe
I'll be digging into whatever I hit with my ML so will have pictures on anything recovered. LOL! Note I'm a big heart/lung shot believer so don't go for any bone shots typically - will all that time in the field and invested in each trip, I hate to waste even 1/2lb of game, etc.

cascadedad
I'm sure I'll be in the same boat as you - use the CCI #11 Magnums in a pinch, but will locate/procure the RWS #1075s long term. I can make a Friday afternoon run as long as I have a couple days notice and I'm not tied up at work - note the tri-cities area is a 3.5-4hr drive for me. There's a new Sportsmans Warehouse opening up in Federal Way this week - I'll try to get down there to check out the ML supplies and buy if they have the right kind of stock. Frankly speaking, I'm so new at all this I still don't know what most (good) things/supplies look like!

cheers,
phil

ps: I can't way for my new baby to arrive!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

philnie

I'm still trying to find out more information about the 240, if that thing will stay together - then it certainly would be a great answer... Cayugad seems to think it will - and yet some other guys say no - gotta have a heavier lead bullet... but I personally trust Cayugad's information... I might get some and give them a shot also - they certainly look good on line.

Buying plister packs of ML bullets is not the way to go - most of us buy bulk bullets them buy packs of sabots... 100 250 grain .452(45 cal) XTP's $11/12 two packs of sabots $5/6 each...

Supplies it might be helpful if you could rummage through my stuff before you go buy a whole lot so you can see what i have... i gave cascadedad a shopping list for Sportsman's - it was a bare bones list so he could get started...

cascadedad if you read this call the new GI Joe's store in Kennewick check and see what they have for primers... Next time I get to White Elephant or Balck Sheep I'll check there also...

I am still not sure about this weekend but as soon as I find out I'll let everyone know...

Quick Reply: White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.