Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Old 06-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

I think you've found the right load Dave! That topright group is a dandy.

edit: I've tried to lay the 4 smaller groups on top of the center bull without changing any distances. If I read correctly - you shot 3 different bullet weights with three different powders with and without wads and included scope adjustments in the center bull. The result of all those shots is something you won't see with many rifles.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

So far I have yet to find a conical that the rifle will not shoot and shoot well. I was going to start on some sabots but decided to get a different rifle out and shoot that instead..

Yes the top right group was amazing to me.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

If you want to be a polymer chunker like Sabotloader, then I would get the Triple Se7en. I've shot sabots with excellent results even with T-7 2f out of the White.
Thank you cayugad for calling it polymere... Underclocked has no cooth - he keeps calling them "recycled milk jugs"

Old 06-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Del Ramsey hates me!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I shot my ultra-mag today as well (took a day off from fishin).
I had to change my front sight to a lower one as I shooting low and no more ramp adjustment. This rifle is so boring just shoot and shoot (make sure you put tape over the holes they mostly go in the same hole).
Now I am different as I do not like the RWS cap it is too hard to get on. I like the new remington a lot better.
Redclub

Old 06-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redclub

I shot my ultra-mag today as well (took a day off from fishin).
I had to change my front sight to a lower one as I shooting low and no more ramp adjustment. This rifle is so boring just shoot and shoot (make sure you put tape over the holes they mostly go in the same hole).
Now I am different as I do not like the RWS cap it is too hard to get on. I like the new remington a lot better.
Redclub

Today when I was shooting mine, as I was loading conical after conical with out swabbing, I suddenly thought of the other inlines and how after each shot I had to swab. With the White I could shoot until the barrel was too hot to handle, then I would let it cool and walk up and study the target some.. It sure seems nice shooting these Whites.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad- I'd love to be able to shoot a bunch of times and not have to swab the barrel in between! Nice shooting by the way ... Have you had to modify your Ultra Mag's front sight to be able to handle conicals? Or do you use your scope only? Also, understood about sarting off with T7 or Goex in 3F. Is the Goex you're talking about their BP or Pinnacle variety? I'll start off shooting the iron sights - might have a rear peep or ghost ring on in time too. Longer term I can see myself getting the Ultra Mag set up with a scope for loadwork up sessions and for hunting locales that allow it ...

sabotloader- I'm about 3.5-4hrs from the tri-cities - looked it up on the map this morning ... depending on date/time I'll come down the previous night and stay locally if need be. I'll focus on buying cleaning and loading tools/supplies as well as the specialty sabot/conical bullets 1st thing this week, then get the powder and caps at Sportsmans.

Underclocked- yes, that's it - "action spring" is the one. Adding teflon tape to the list too. Thanks again.

Andas usual, more questions for the forum experts: What's the theory for using wads with conicals? To ease cleaning or to prevent gas from leaking around the conical? Any averages on cleaning ease and accuracy when using conicals vs sabots? Since I'm in a "lead only" hunting state, should I be concerned with any special loading heads for the rod (to reduce bullet head marring)? I read whereby a spining loading head is good to use as well (promotes loading by aiding bullet travel down the barrel)?

Thanks so much guys - I'm finally starting to get a handle on what to get and what all this gear/supplies look like as well.

cheers,
phil

Old 06-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I was going to put a Lyman SMET peep on the rifle but really like the fiber optic sights that came with it. So instead I put Warne QD rings on the rifle and a Nikon Pro Staff scope. I can pull the scope and hunt with the fiber optic sights during our muzzleloading season, and hunt with the scope during our normal rifle season.

As for shooting Pinnacle 3f... if you want to shoot sabots and they are under 300 grain I think the Pinnacle 3f will work excellent. I've only shot off about four pounds of it since it came out. What I have noted is the stuff hates heavy projectiles. When shooting Conicals with Pinnacle 3f the accuracy was terrible as was when shooting heavy .458 diameter 405 grain projectiles. Yet when shooting 240 grain XTP's the accuracy was exceptional and there as not swabbing between shots. Also it shoots roundball very well out of my traditional rifles.

I shoot Goex 3f Black Powder with my White Ultra Mag. It really seems to work good. With my next case of powder (this week) I want to get some more Swiss 3f and some KIK 3f Black Powder to see how the rifle likes them....

As for your concern on special loading heads.. when I shoot conicals, I use a simple standard ball loading jag. The conicals are all slip fit. There is no pushing and straining to load the conicals. You push them under the crown with your thumb and simple light ramrod pressure will seat them.

When shooting the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB I use the same loading jog I use when shooting Shockwaves. It is a hollow nose that slips over the spitzer point of the bullet. I then slide them down on the charge. They also load easy. Sabots you will find also load very easy in a White.

As for the reason for the wads, they help to produce a stable pressure I was told. They also help clean the fowling somewhat. And mostly they protect the back of the conical from the hot gases when the powder ignition occurs.. My rifle shoots better with wads then without. I get them at Track of the Wolf...
Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks again cayugad!

I followed your recommendation on the 460gr and 495gr NE conicals and ordered a couple boxes each. Imanaged to get most of the cleaning/shooting supplies on order ... including a 1k pack of the 1/8in wads from Track of the Wolf. As these orders quickly went over $300 yesterday,I held off on getting any Bull Shop conicals, but they are on my short list when re-order time comes round.

I also followed sabotloaders recommendation on the Nosler sabot/Hornady 300gr XTP components and have 200ea coming my way. Cabelas had the Buffalo 375gr SSBs too so I grabbed some of them to try. And another email off to Doc White for a spare partsorder including a percussion hammer. So, I should be shooting pretty soon after receiving the Ultra Mag ... depending on how long the sabot and conical projectile orders take to arrive.

You guys convinced on using RWS #1075 caps over the CCI #11 Magnums, but a quick question - do the RWS caps fit in the same #11 inline capper? I thought I read someplace that the RWS caps come w/ "wings?"

I see Cabelas carries the T/C Cheap Loads (Shots?) a 240gr lead sabot.Has anyone tried themin their White ML?

As always, thanks for all the great information!
phil
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

The RWS do fit in my Ted Cash straight line and Ted Cash Tear Drop cappers and work fine....

I have not shot the T/C Cheap Shots in the White. Good idea though, I have some so I will have to give them a try..

You are so right about ording all of the extra and that running into some serious money.

Quick Reply: White's ultra mag on the way, now what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.