Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes XPB 250 grain Cannelured

Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Barnes XPB 250 grain Cannelured

I was shooting a number of different loads today with the .50 caliber Knight Disc rifle with the Millet Scope. I found that with two pyrodex pellets and a .451 Barnes Cannelured 454 Casull copper bullet out of a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot shot an excellent group. The rifle shot a one inch group. I was more then pleased with that off my bench rest.

The interesting thing is I recovered a Barnes bullet that went through the target and hit the steel trap back stop. Even after flattening to one and three eights of an inch, it still retained 236.6 grains of the original 250 grain weight. That to me was most impressive.

I can understand why people use this projectile on elk...
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barnes XPB 250 grain Cannelured

Very interesting,did you test it in any medium? I wonder what one of the bonded shock waves would do in the same circumstances.I have loadedthem up to a 150 gr.[2100fps] and still have not been able to get one to frag.do you suppose the higher vol. and faster twist of the savage makes the differance?Lee
Old 05-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Spike

Nice shooting. Looks like the new scope is right on. How do these bullets differ from the 250gr barnes expander MZ's. Or are they the same just sold to different markets?

gopherfan
Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Dominant Buck

They basically are the same thing as a Barnes Expander except for the band you see on the bullet. The Expanders do not have that.. otherwise they are the same, and they are not as expensive..
Old 05-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Very interesting,did you test it in any medium? I wonder what one of the bonded shock waves would do in the same circumstances.I have loadedthem up to a 150 gr.[2100fps] and still have not been able to get one to frag.do you suppose the higher vol. and faster twist of the savage makes the differance?Lee
No I did not. I want to set up a soaked paper test. Although someone else a while back did a paper test on the Barnes Expander and it really did an excellent job. I fully expected it to flatten after hitting 3/4 inch fire hardened steel plates.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is that photo reflective of one of the 4-corner bullseyes on those Remington targets? That's not a photo of the center bullseye... is it? I have-yet to use those paper targets... that's why I'm questioning the photo shots.

Also... are the supplied sabots for that bullet HPH-12s or HPH-24s? Perhaps... even the new 3-petal?

By-the-way.... Del Ramsey emailed me with a 3-petal sabot trial offer. After exchanging a few emails with him, I've assured my findings that this man is just the opposite of that Precision bullet owner (won't mention his name)..... Del being a fine gentleman both on the phone during a few conversation we've had in the pastand by recent email exchanges.

Now all I need to do is to get over to the range & try them out.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Wow - good shooting Cayugad. Buying the pistol bullets in bulk appears to be a considerable savings - almost half price. If you have some 30 grain pellets, try two fifties and a thirty. Pretty good balance of horsepower, recoil, and accuracy in my guns.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Is that photo reflective of one of the 4-corner bullseyes on those Remington targets?That's not a photo of the center bullseye... is it?
Yes that is the lower left corner of one of those remington targets. The center target was full of three different kinds of projectiles before I got to the Barnes XPB's to try.

are the supplied sabots for that bullet HPH-12s or HPH-24s? Perhaps... even the new 3-petal?
The Barnes XPB's do not come with a sabot. So I first tried a MMP and it was much too tight, then I tried the crushed rib and it was just the way I liked it.

I am at this point about to place an order with Del for a number of different sabots. I went crazy the other day and blew a couple hundred bucks on sabots, powder, wads, primers, caps, .400 200 grain XTP's, etc and now I need some speciality sabots to shoot the projectiles I ordered.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Wow - good shooting Cayugad. Buying the pistol bullets in bulk appears to be a considerable savings - almost half price. If you have some 30 grain pellets, try two fifties and a thirty. Pretty good balance of horsepower, recoil, and accuracy in my guns.
I hate to admit this, but my Knight Disc shoots better with pellets then with loose powder. I tried a bunch of loose powder in different amounts. The best loose powder for that rifle is Goex 3f. If you load Pyrodex Pellets it really shoots some impressive groups. The rifle likes Pyrodex and Goex.

Triple Se7en powder and that rifle do not agree. I once told someone I shot T-7 and the 200 grain powderbelts out of that rifle with great results. I tried that yesterday and was shocked. They were all over the place. So I went back and checked my notes and low and behold, Goex 3f is the powder that produced the best accuracy. Its just hard to beat Goex.