Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lubing your conicals

Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Spike

Default Lubing your conicals

I've been lubing my conical bulletswith bore butter one at a time
by hand while shooting. The stuff getsall over my hands, gun and
everywhere.[:@] It seems to stick to mebetter than the bullets.
Do you guys have a goodwayyou lube your bulletswithout such a
messbefore going afield ? Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 06:34 AM

Default RE: Lubing your conicals

T/C bore butter is a pain but they do sell an adapter to fit over the BB tube on e bay ,comes up now and then.
I like to use beeswax and lard (no salt) 60/40 mix and a table spoon of olive oil.
I lube them one at a time and then send them threw a 50 cal.speed loaded to clean them up
Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't feel bad.. I still smear them conicals with my fingers as well. I personally do not think the projectile has to be coated in a very thick manner, but covered good. I use a castor oil and bees wax lube that I make and it seems to work well, wipes off easy, and even waterproofs you boots if you want..
Old 05-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could try warming some Lee Liquid Alox diluted by half with mineral spirits, pan roll the conicals in a thin levelof the warm lube mix, then sit them base down on wax paper to dry. If still tacky, a bit of baby powder in a bag of lubed bullets - fluff them around until they all get a nice outer coat of powder.

Alox stinks, so do this in the garage.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

All I will say with reguards to Alox and mineral spirits, I did a bunch of R.E.A.L. concials that way once. A rifle that normally was very accurate with them shot them Alox lubed conicals terrible. I then applied the old castor ooil/bees wax mix and the accuracy was right back. So you might want to do a few and then go to the range and see how they work for you.

I know a lot of people use an Alox mixture of one sort or another for a lot of projectiles out there.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

One thing you can do in an hour or less:

Take your unlubed conicals and place them all in a bowl or small container.

Then microwave (nuke) (or boiling water)your favorite lube (Iuse Rooster Labs,T/C Bore Butter, Oxyoke Wonderlubeand Hornady Great PlainsLube depending on the day or in hot weather Rooster Labs)to the point of flowing and drizzle the lube over the conicals. Mix things around so all the bullets are covered.

I do the same thing to lube patches and wads.

Allow the concoction in the bowl to cool.

Then pick out the lubed conicals or patches/wadsand place them back in the package they camein or in zip lock bags.

Then pick out the left over lube and put it back into the container for next time.

At the range, you still (alway will)end up getting somegoop on your hands, but not nearly as much and you spend more time at the range shooting versus preparing to shoot.

m2c

Tahquamenon
Old 05-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the white Cabelas Lube and use 60% with 40% Bore Butter. Melt together in a microwave -- then dip the bullets using needle-nose pliars. Place the bullets on wax paper until dry -- then use a small knife to remove hardened lube inside the hollow bottom base of the bullet. You can buy the proper sized, emptybullet boxes in reloading aisles of hunting stores for storage.

That's the best lube I ever used. It produces analmost solid finish & leaves no mess on your hands.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use roundballs now only for practice. then nov comes and i use powerbelts for deer. no more messing with conical stuff. i shoot about 6 or 8 powerbelts to sight in the gun for hunting so it does not get expensive. i used maxi-balls for 30 years but have retired them for powerbelts for hunting.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 AM

Just for remenising(hope I spelled it right), didnt TC or someone else have sort of a sardine looking tin full of borebutter or some other lube. I think you shoved your conicals down in the mixture and the pulled them out and Ta!!! Da!!!, you had a lubed conical. That was awhile back if I remember correctly.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

when i first used maxi-balls back in 70s,they had a lube called MAXI-LUBE.i dont think there was any bore butter then. this maxi-lube was like a paste not like the bore butter. i think it had petroleum in it too not like the bore butter. but it went on more solid than bore butter.