Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

54 vs 58

Old 05-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 54 vs 58

Ok, I really want a 58cal for when I get back into elk hunting some day. I know that the 54 will kill anything up to a moose with a roundball. My dad thinks I should get a 54cal since that is all I need. I think a 58 would be good because I would have the extra energy for when I take that elk hunting or moose hunting trip. Can you all help me out AGAIN!!

Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 54 vs 58

Sharp Shooter, I will have to agree with your dad;I have both and due to the combineation of facts ,namely the fact you can not get a 58 in a twist that allows you to really load it up and still get any accuracy,and the massive recoil if you should find a twist like about 1 in 120.
You will also find that with a 1-66 to 1-80 twist in a 54will allow a load that the combination of will give the best long range accuracy and hitting power that a round ball can give you under what is now our normal circumstances.All things are a compromise but in my opinion for round ball a 54 don't even have any compitition for American BIG game. Lee

Old 05-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

While there is nothing wrong with the .54 caliber and it is a great roundball projectile, I still favor the .58 caliber. Especially when hunting large game like elk. You get 25% more weight in a .58 caliber ball over a .54 caliber ball. That extra weight to the projectile, while slowing the ball down more,I feel will make a difference when it comes down to thumping time. The heavier ball will retain more down range energy. If someone was shooting out to hundreds of yards with these things, the .54 might have an advantage in overall ball drop, but 100 yards, the .58 will have more knock down IMO. Besides that, it knocks a bigger hole in the target and isn't that why we push these projectiles so hard, so they expand and make a larger wound channel?

As for the Green Mountian Barrels, they are all 1-70 twist whether .54 or .58 caliber, which is a roundball shooting machine. Granted a 1-120 twist might be even a better roundball barrel, but the Green Mountain Barrel will not disappoint you at all. I load my .58 caliber with 110 grains of Goex 2f and a patched 284 grain ball. I personally think there is nothing that could take a well placed shot from that and live to tell about it. As for recoil, both calibers are going to push you when you load them hot. The worst kicking rifle I shoot is a Renegade. This is because of stock design. Yet I have no concerns touching off that .58 caliber with hunting loads under it.

It's all a matter of preference. Both will get the job done when you place it in the right spot. The .54 caliber is cheaper to shoot, because the ball weighs less and you can buy them more reasonable then the .58 caliber. I guess it boils down to what you want to hunt with and what you want to carry around all day.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a rifle that's Green Mountain barrel adaptable, then the 58-cal would be my choice too.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard that with the longer barrels (32") like GM that the recoil is not bad at all. I know that the 54cal would be perfect for antelope but what would that 58cal do? I know I will want the 58cal when I go elk hunting or moose hunting. I don't thinkthere will be much of arecoildifference between the two calibers. I do have theRenegade.Whatever I get it will be a GM rifle barrel.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way... I don't shoot too much so there would be no moneyproblems with the 58cal.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, I wish you lived closer to me if we could get to gether we could have some interesting conversations and do some interesting experaments.
Part of my feeling about the 54 is because it shoots so much flatter and part is due to the fact that almost every deer [over 25]that I have shot with one dropped on the spot or within 10-15 yards,while almost all the deer and the bear I shot with my 58 ran 70 to 100yds. Have you ever noticed that a 54 cal ball that is going right around 2000fps drops the better than a lot of so call high powered rifles. Lee

Old 05-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My shots will be 100yds max but mostly under 100yds. I can see what lemoyne is saying.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

"...almost every deer [over 25]that I have shot with one dropped on the spot or within 10-15 yards,while almost all the deer and the bear I shot with my 58 ran 70 to 100yds..."
Don't understand that...your comment implies that the .54 is somehow more effective than the .58...but in reality,assuming correspondingly equalpowder charges, the difference would come fromshot placement.

I've killed a lot of deer with.45/.50/.54/.58cal PRBs and they've all fallen within sight of me regardless of caliber...one was even shot with only 40grns of Goex 3F behinda little .440cal when I was squirrel hunting...but with a solid heart shot,theyjust bolt a few body lengths and collapse.

If a .570/279grn ball is given the same shot placementasa .530/230grn ball is,there's no way the outcome would bein favor of the .54cal.

Others mileage may vary of course...

Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

cayugad, I wish you lived closer to me if we could get to gether we could have some interesting conversations and do some interesting experaments.
Part of my feeling about the 54 is because it shoots so much flatter and part is due to the fact that almost every deer [over 25]that I have shot with one dropped on the spot or within 10-15 yards,while almost all the deer and the bear I shot with my 58 ran 70 to 100yds. Have you ever noticed that a 54 cal ball that is going right around 2000fps drops the better than a lot of so call high powered rifles. Lee
lemoyne.. I agree with you. I've shot a lot of deer with the .54 caliber roundball and with conicals from the .54 caliber. I never had a problem with dropping the deer or they never went very far when shot properly. What I am saying is when it comes to energy foot pounds I feel the .58 caliber will out do the .54 caliber. If I were after an elk, I would want as much energy out there as possible.

I've never clocked a .54 caliber roundball but when I try to figure ballistics on them I use 1700 fps. With the .58 caliber I use 1350 fps in all calculations. I am sure I am off on these numbers but I do think it gives me an idea of their ability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.