Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep sights

Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Spike

Default Peep sights

I'm sitting here waiting for my White Ultra Mag to come, maybe this weekend. I have to use either peep sights or iron sights in Oregon. I am leaning toward peep sights since I used them a lot in the Marine Corps(about 45 years ago). What do you guys think the best peep sight to use and will work on the Ultra Mag? Also one of you posted an answer to my question regarding loads and said they might consider going to a 200 grain conical in the Ultra Mag. Does anyone make a 200 grain in 504 caliber. I like that idea because I always favor a lighter bullet in my deer rifles. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Peep sights

silverstreak

Looking at your regs again you can not even use regular fiber optics. So I think your thought of a peep sight would be a good option. I am thinking that the new White is going to come with fiber optics - so you are going to have to get both a front and rear sight. Here is an example of good one. you can even remove the peep and use it as a ghost ring of sorts.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0018753214918a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=peep+sight&N=4887&a mp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&am p;Ntt=peep+sight&noImage=0

It would be my suggestion to call Williams and they will match the pair to your gun...

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

RMC Sports offers another one that a lot of people like - but the kit includes a front fiber optic calling them I am sure they could match a front blade sight to you gun....

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

I suggested the lighter bullets also but at this time I do not know anyone that makes a light weight conical. The closest thing I have ever used is a 320 Lead REAL. Cayugad and Underclocked shoot a loot of conicals but they normally like the heavier ones, but they still might be able to help you out. Even a conical in the 300 grain area would serve you will well on deer + allow you to make those longer shots in the desert or semi desert that you will be hunting in.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The Lyman 57 SME is the peep sight I wanted to put on my rifle because of the target and hunting peeps you can get for it.

It mounts to the side of the rifle and when you want to use a scope, the top part comes off with the removal of a screw (so I was told). Brownells sell one

539-057-007
Model 57 SMET

which is made for the White muzzleloader. I thought this would make an excellent sighing system for the open sights...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM

After getting the rear peep sight, try replacing the red fiber optic front sight with a green one. Most of them are .040". You will need a .040 drill bit to drill out the hole after you break out the red one. Brownell's and Dawson Precision carry the fiber optic rod stock.

Green is better than red in low light, and just as good in bright sunlight.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe

In Oregon he can not use the fiber optic sight.

But silverstreak cayugad's suggestion is the best i just got my White and the reciever is already tapped for the peep sight - to be put on the right side - i am beginning to think Doc shootsleft handed.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader...

that Lyman SMET peep, since the holes are already there, would sure make it handy for a person that wants to hunt both seasons. Take the scope off with Warne QD rings, and throw the peep on. A couple shots at the range to make sure your peep sight is still set and then... youare set, and just like that, you are off to hunt with the same rifle in another season...
Old 04-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

i really like the RMC v-peep.i wish front fiber was smaller but its fine. i like front bead to be real small.for hunting front bead is great .target i like smaller one.RMC is best i had on my flintlock for hunting.