Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Old 04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Spike

Default Oregon muzzleloader requirements

I plan to hunt deer in Oregon this fall and being new to muzzleloader hunting have some questions. I would like to use an inline muzzleloader and Oregon laws are as follows:
Iron or peep sights only
Round or conical bullets only
Open ignition system
No 209 primers
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a muzzleloader that meets those requirements?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Yes, the TC Black Diamond suggest the XR model. Lee
Old 04-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or the White Ultra Mag.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: silverstreak

I plan to hunt deer in Oregon this fall and being new to muzzleloader hunting have some questions. I would like to use an inline muzzleloader and Oregon laws are as follows:
Iron or peep sights only
Round or conical bullets only
Open ignition system
No 209 primers
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a muzzleloader that meets those requirements?
Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. I think I would have to recommend the White Ultra Mag as the best conical thrower I have ever shot. The next would be the Thompson Center Black Diamond XR. I own both rifles and they all offer three different ignition systems. The Thompson Center is a great rifle with out doubt. But for conicals, then I would choose the White Ultra Mag in .504 caliber.

So Oregon does not allow all lead projectiles, and they must be conicals or roundball. That's interesting. If they allowed lead projectiles in sabots then there is the Buffalo Bullet and the Dead Center line of bullets that out of the Black Diamond will really get the job done on any animal...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM

I am pretty sure you can use the 209 primers. It just has to be exposed. I'll double check that. I use a black diamond w/the XS ghost ring sights. I really like those sights. What unit are going to put in for?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 AM

I just looked in the reg's again and it says that it's illeagal to use "centerfire primers". The 209 is a shotgun primer so I assume it's OK.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Spike

Hi gandilamont,
I have land owner tags for 171m which is the Juniper area and just west of the town of French Glen. Do you know that area and if you do, what do you think of it for the late muzzleloader hunt. We hunted that general area last year in the regular rifle season and did good but I don't know if the deer move out of that high desert area later like they sometimes do.

As far as using the 209 primer, you are right. I have read Fish and Wildlife muzzleloader regulations review several times now. Regarding lock and ignition types it says: Onlythree states specifically restrict lock type, Massachusetts and Oregon require open ignition systems and Pennsylvania only allows flintlocks. Eight states prohibit the use of centerfire primers. Oregon and Massachusetts do not specifically prohibit use of centerfire primes but they are typically excluded because most firearms that utilize them are considered to have closed ignitions.

Those are the exact words taken from their muzzleloader regulations review. Now does that mean that if I purchase a muzzleloader such as TC Black Diamond or White Ultra Mag, which are both considered open ignition rifles, I can legally use the 209 primer. Since I am new to muzzleloader hunting, can you tell me if there is any advantage in using a 209 primer? Is it because it cannot get wet and misfire? Anyone with answers to these questions please feel free to chime in.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

silverstreak

I am in Idaho and Idaho is one of the states that still does not allow 209 ignition.

Reading your regulation which is sort of the typical regulation - The ignition system must be open to the elements. Using a 209 reduces, somewhat, the chances of the weather contamination of the ignition system. The 209 also providesa hotter ingnition temperature that last longer than any cap ignition, therefor it is considered a more reliable system with substitute powders

Those are the exact words taken from their muzzleloader regulations review. Now does that mean that if I purchase a muzzleloader such as TC Black Diamond or White Ultra Mag, which are both considered open ignition rifles, I can legally use the 209 primer.
Yes...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I would interpret Oregon rules to include 209 primers (nor Idaho rules) but that is no great loss, IMHO. The use of 209 primers primarily came about because of the development of pellets and their being harder to ignite. A great deal of effort and innovation has been shown in trying to REDUCE the flame from 209s.

For my use, the RWS 1075 caps have proven equally reliable and produce great results. My most accurate rifles use the caps.A properly installed #11 cap makes a very good moisture seal. Damp powder would be much more a problem.

I truly like the Whites and recommend all but the Thunderbolt model. The Ultra Mags are a great value, again IMHO. But if you want to buy a Black Diamond, I've not read too many negativesabout those. Mostly they are reputed to be very good rifles. The QLA section of the TC barrels can make conical accuracy an "iffy" thing though. Many TC barrels shoot much better with the QLA removed.

Still want a Black Diamond? If so, check with [email protected] (.50 blue/camo for $145, XR .45 blue/black for $135, XR .45 SS/black for $155).
Old 04-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

silverstreak

Muzzleloader
[ul][*]Scopes (permanent and detachable), fiber optics sights, sights that use artificial light or energy, and sights that enhance, gather, or concentrate natural light are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights.[*]It is illegal to hunt with jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Round balls and conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter, and cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.[*]It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.[*]It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.[*]No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season (See definition page 10 or regulations book).[*]Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. [/ul]
From what I read here - 209's are not legal - they are a rifle primer in a battery cup - to be sure call the Oregon fish and game...

Quick Reply: Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.