Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Oregon muzzleloader requirements

silverstreak

I really believe that the number 11 mag cap is the better of the two caps. And the best of the #11 caps are Dymite Noble 1075 plus caps.

Any of the percussion caps are susceptible to water and according to our rules and Oregons rules you have to have an exposed breech. There are things you can do to prevent the cap and the barrel from getting wet - so if you are goingto be hunting in foul weather you will need to look into those little tricks... I use a couple of wraps of a plastic wrapping tape around the breech and a muzzle mitt on the barrel.

In Idaho we can use sabots but reading your rules I see that you can not. So your bullet choice is going to be your biggest choice... and in that choice i would probably go the opposit direction of a lot of others. Instead of choosing a big heavy lead conical I would be looking for a light quick modern looking full bore conical. PR bullets may be your best bet there. To many years of centerfire shooting has lead me down the path of a quick flat shooting bullet. I am really looking at shooting a 200 grain 10mm XTP this year during deer season.

Check these projectiles out...
http://www.prbullet.com/ul50.htm

This is the home site:
http://www.prbullet.com/index.htm

I am shooting Triple Seven 2f powder in my inlines - out here, in the west,I do not think you will find to many options that other peole have like APP, Shockeys, or Goex.

I am thinking if you go to a major sporting goods/hunting store in your area they will have some sort of selection of the ML bullets that most hunter in Oregon are using.

When you get yours and start using it keep coming back sounds like you and I might be working up loads and bullets at the same time.

have fun...