Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Old 04-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Default RE: Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Your right, I just checked w/fish & game and they are NOT LEAGLE. They should make that more clear. A lot of those rangers are A-Holes too and they love to right tickets. Back to percussion caps.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Spike

I just got off the phone with Oregon Fish and Wildlife and the officer I talked to said 209 primers are NOT legal. Only #11 and musket caps are legal. Since I'm new to muzzleloading hunting, is that a big deal?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

silverstreak

My first reaction is "actually no!" It does mean you will need to be a little more careful of contaminating your cap or powder.

I would recommned that you use Dymite Nobel #1075 plus - this a #11 magnumcap thatwill give you reliable ignition.

If you have not purchased a gun yet you might get an opinion from Underclocked and Cayugad on the White Ultra Mag. I have not got mine yet so I do not qualify. I am not a real fan of the Black Diamond, although it is a good gun - I beleive it has some maintenance problems.

Another thought if you can not use scopes would you might be interested in a more traditional style gun? I hunt all year now with a ML now so I really want an inline for regular rifle season but I do switch back to a sidehammer for ML season here in Idaho. I find the operation and maintenance of a sidehammer much less complex than a inline - just me - other will differ.

Good luck in your search - where are you in Oregon?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Reference the Black Diamond XR... I have shot hundreds of rounds through mine. It is just hands down, a great shooting rifle. It is also a dirty fowling rifle, but that's all part of the game to me. The only time you need to break them down is if you're sitting on the range and have shot about twenty rounds through the thing. They striker and breech area will fowl bad, and slow down if not even stop. So you pull the striker, wipe it clean, check the breech plug since you have the rifle open so nice, wipe out the breech area, and you're good to go for another twenty rounds.

I do check the breech plugs on all my rifles every 10 shots. I just give them a little twist. Just to make sure they are not seizing up.

Also like Sabotloader was saying, don't overlook sidelock rifles. Especially in your case. Get a large caliber like a 54 or bigger and shoot roundball or conicals. It is all you would need for deer or elk. Lyman makes a Great Plains Hunter model with a 1-32 twist that should be an excellent conical shooter. I have a Lyman Trade rifle with a 1-48 twist and it will shoot powerbelts excellent actually. Also it does real well with maxiball and roundball. Thompson Center makes some great sidelock rifles also. My .54 caliber Renegades, there is not a bad shooting rifle in all four of them...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Reference the Black Diamond XR... I have shot hundreds of rounds through mine. It is just hands down, a great shooting rifle. It is also a dirty fowling rifle, but that's all part of the game to me. The only time you need to break them down is if you're sitting on the range and have shot about twenty rounds through the thing.
Cayugad never ment to suggest that the Black Diamond was not a good gun - I know that is is a great shooting gun and it is an excellent hunting rifle. I was trying to say for a beginner the fowling thing might be a henderance of sorts... until you learn to handle the mess it is a problem - in my early days when I was shooting one I felt that way - that is exactly why I sold mine.

I know there are cleaner guns out there - just getting one with a plain old #11 ignition system is getting difficult to find these days.

I am trying hard not to dig the whole anydeeper.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Spike

Sabotloader, I am hunting the south eastern part of Oregon about 100 miles north of the Nevada line and 80 miles west of Idaho line, just west of the Steens Mountains in the Juniper Area.
Thanks a lot to all for the great information, it is truly appreciated being new to muzzleloading. After all the research I have done I think I will go with the White Ultramag. Can anyone tell me where I can buy one and who is giving the best deal. I have called a few gun dealers here in California and noone is able to get one. Is this a new model for White?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Dominant Buck

The White Ultra Mag was made for Sportsman's Warehouse (Sporting good chain). You can only get one at a Sportsman's Warehouse I believe. Ask Underclocked. He seems to know every store that sells them and what they have in stock..

They are made by White Rifle. They are a .504 caliber and made to shoot conicals. I think you will really like the rifle.

And Sabotloader, I was not jumping on you for your statements. I was only giving anyone intersted in the Black Diamond XR a fair understanding. The rifle does fowl. So do all of them. Once you learn how to care for any of the rifles we own, they really are not a problem.

I think his choice of an Ultra Mag is a good choice. If I lived in an area where you had to shoot conicals and needed a #11 or musket ignition, this would be the rifle I would choose also.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

silverstreak

I just bought mine at Sportsman Warehouse in Twin Falls, ID. (208) 737-9900 - $299.00 I got one - Stainless Steel with the laminate wood stock. I think he still has some left. He does not haveany synthetic stocks left.

Phoenix, Az has one synthetic stainless steel Ultra Mag left $299.00 and at least one laminate but they want $359 for the laminate - they have not got the word yet down there about the $299.00 price.

I e-mailed Doc White the other night to ask him a question about his Whites - he responded back that evening really surprised me.

If you do not find one at these places with a gun let me know Underclocked sent me some other locations - I am sure I can find the e-mail

I am originally from Boise - if south eastern Oregon is like Owyhee County in south west Idaho you got some serious hunting in front of you. Those deer will be muleys won't they. We used to hunt those southern Idaho jack-rabbits all the time. I love to watch them bounce and then tell some rookie - shoot one - shoot it in between bounces... it really is a hoot.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Spike

sabotloader and cayugad,
We are hunting mule deer in south eastern Oregon. This area is high desert with very few trees and a lot of rim rock.
I ordered my White Ultra Mag today from Provo, Utah. I got the laminated stock for $299.
Am I better off using the #11 cap or the musket cap? What powder should I be using and how much? How about bullet weight? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally and shooting 90 grains of Goex 3f - a 1/16th fiber wad - and a 460 grain No Excuse conical. Talk about THUMP!! wait until you shoot it. Underclocked can give you more information. Also you need to visit a forum full of White shooters.. they are a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Oregon muzzleloader requirements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.