Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Casting Roundballs

Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Casting Roundballs

How many of you cast ROUNDBALLS? Are those LEE Molds good? What do you need and what it there to know?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Casting Roundballs

The LEE MOLD makes a real good roundball. The spur is small. And if you cast properly, they come out real good. As for what you need, there is a lot to casting.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heat source, pot/pan, dip, mold, lead, what else? By the way where do you get lead?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I get my lead from recycle centers and a place that sells scrap metal. Also plumbing supply house, and friends give me lead pipe and lead flashing from roofs...
Old 04-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Casting can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be...Balls are relatively simple...I get my led from the dentist, it comes in the pack that they put in your mouth when they x-ray your teeth...I remove the sheet lead from these packs and melt in a muffin tin to make ingots...I melt my lead on a old Coleman stove and when casting I simple use a can that crushed tomatoes came in (I think its 16 oz)...I bought a ladle, a cheap spoon with holes in it to remove flux and have a .395 and a .530 Rapine mold...I set up outside on my workmate, melt the lead, flux with SnoSeal and cast....I do wear a long sleeve shirt, jeans, work boots and gloves...When one mold gets too hot, I switch to the other...In an hour or two I can cast 100 balls....
Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

One year at the end of the grilling season.. as store called Menards had a turkey cooker on sale for $19.95. This was one of those giant pots, with the bunson burner and stand for the pot, and all the extras. I saw that and bought it with one thing in mind.. a lead smelter. I took an old burner grate off a gas stove and wired it to the stand. My lead smelting pop sits right on that burner and the flame is fully adjustable, so I can get the lead right where I want it... best working smelter I ever had. Plus in the off season I can do a turkey with it, and I use it for a heat source for the homemadesmoker when I cure my sausages and salami after deer season...