Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Musket Nipple on a Greyhawk?

Old 03-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Musket Nipple on a Greyhawk?

A new neighbor of mine apparently got out of M/L some time ago &just gave me a new TC musket nipple (& some other stuff)he had left over. I'm thinking about putting it on my .50 Greyhawk.

My questions...Is this a step up from the #11 system? If I use this nipple/primer combinationdo I need to work up new hunting loads? Are primers readily available? Do I need it?

Many thanks in advance for all responses!

Dick

Old 03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Musket Nipple on a Greyhawk?

ORIGINAL: BARguy

A new neighbor of mine apparently got out of M/L some time ago &just gave me a new TC musket nipple (& some other stuff)he had left over. I'm thinking about putting it on my .50 Greyhawk.

My questions...Is this a step up from the #11 system? If I use this nipple/primer combinationdo I need to work up new hunting loads? Are primers readily available? Do I need it?

Many thanks in advance for all responses!

Dick

The musket cap produces almost ten times the fire of a #11 someone told me once. Whether that is true or not I could not say. It is a lot of fire down the hole. They are very common in my area.

If you use it, be sure and check to make sure the hammer does not half cock or recock after you fire. This indicates the hammer spring is not strong enough and use of the musket cap could damage the spring more. All you can do is try them. Many people use them.

Will it effect the load and accuracy? I would guess it will. How much will be the question. Only time on the range is going to answer that for you. Because you are pushing more fire down the snail into the breech, there will be more pressure. It might not change your POI much, but be sure and check it out before hunting....

Again, if it re cocks the rifle, you might want to reconsider using them. My theory is, if it isn't broke, why fix it. I like to keep the rifle as much the way the manufacturer intended it to be, as possible. Then I know I am safe and not doing any damage to my rifles....

Good luck
Old 03-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Cayugad...Thanks for the response. Guess I'll see if I can find some caps tomorrow & shoot a few rounds to check results. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...Or something like that!

Thanks again!

Dick
Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM

I use musket caps exclusively in my Black Diamonds. LikeCayugad, I'm under the impression that the musket caps are considerably hotter than the regular #11's. They are also extremely waterproof. I once put a couple of CCI's and a couple of RWS musket caps in a glass of water for an hour. Both fired with authority. Mainly, I like them because they are easier, at least in the Black Diamond, to manipulate than either the #11 or the 209. Need to bend the petals in a little to get them stay on with tension.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM

I use them on my renegade cause they have more fire and I can handle them better with my big fingers. I think this is why they changed in the civil war so soldiers would have something easier to use than the smaller caps.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

BARguy

Musket caps are on the average 10 times hotter than a standard #11 cap. But that ratio is lost when switching to a #11 magnum cap. Probably the hottest cap on the market today is Nobel 1075 plus from Germany.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I used to have a 50 cal. Knight T-bolt, it came with nipples for #11 and musket caps. I was using 100 gr. Pyrodex RS and Hornady 240 gr. XTPs. I got much better accuracy with the #11 caps. The rifle wouldn't group worth spit with the musket caps. Of course every gun is different.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:30 PM

Well, I couldn't find any musket caps in my neck of the woods today...Off-season I guess...So I think I'll back off for now & go with the proven combo.

Shot a few PB 444 lead rounds today to stay in practice for Colorado this fall. They seem to do quite well with my failing eyes, a receiver sight & 100 grains777.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I only wish I'd found these forums sooner!

Dick