Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

making bullets

Old 03-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Default making bullets

to those of you that have molds and make your own bullets, where do you guys get ur lead from?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: making bullets

Lead has really gotten expensive to buy from a retailer such as Mid South Shooters Supply or one of them. If you have plumbing supply stores (where the plumbers go to purchase the stuff they then sell you at twice the price) you can get plumber's lead. It is 100% pure they claim. It works good and is usually reasonable. Then go to places that sell metal and recycle metal. These places sell steel pipe, sheeting, etc. they also buy copper, aluminum, etc from the general public to resale or to sell to smelters. They often times have lead there. It might be in the form of old lead pipe which is usually very pure once you get the crud off it. I once lucked out and purchased two five gallon buckets of pure lead sinkers used in down riggers on Lake Superior for thirty cents a pound. Then check with house roofers. Leadused to be placed in valleys and on edges to water proof the roof in the old days. Many times roofer doing tear offs will have lead laying around and are more then happy to give it to you.

There are many other sources of lead but most of them are not pure. There are wheel weights of course, and some medical labs have lead shields. All you can do is look, and let your friends know you are looking for lead. I told an old man down the road I was looking to find and wanted lead and one afternoon he shows up at the house. He brought me over two eight foot, one inch diameter lead pipes he had laying around...
Old 03-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dentist gives me mine...when they x-ray your teeth...and insert that plastic thing in your mouth...there is a small sheet of lead inside to block the x-rays...I get it for free, because he doesn't want to send it to the land fill...I make round balls out of it, can scratch it with my finger nail and it flattens when it hits a deer...works for me...Good Luck
Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Cayugad said. Midway has pure and alloyed about as cheap as the average guy can order lead. The new flat rate USPS boxes help a little on cost but it's still high. Plumbers lead or old sheet lead used for roof flashings are both good lead. If you live near a shipyard they probably have scrap ballast lead which should be good stuff. If a nearby hospital/medical facility does any radiological work, they might have a pile of the stuff (I doubt it,but worth checking) from any prior equipment changes. Ya gotta get creative or pay a bunch for it.

Seafab.com will sell direct but they have a pretty high dollar figure on the minimum order. $500 I think.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check with telephone men in your area,if they still have lead(in there plant)when they remove it they just send it to the scrap yard.Its dirty but it works.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have molded a lot of sinkers and bullets and never thought anything about it but now in my old age am concerned about breathing fumes
off the lead, is it anything to be concerned with.

James M.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is a concern and melting lead should only be done in well ventilated areas. The vaporization point of lead is high enough that most consumer casting pots aren't going to get you there - but ya never know. Certainly the entire area should be off limits to children as they are the most susceptible to the damages lead can do.

The other problem about scrounging for lead such as old roofing stuff or lead pipe is you may not know what is on/in it and what kind of byproducts the contaminantsmight produce. Best to melt such as that outside and stay up wind. I got a pretty good buzz (yeah, right! More like a dizzy headache) melting some lead pipe in my garage. Good clean lead ingots are far safer but sometimes ya gotta do.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

When I cast bullets I do a couple things to make sure I will have a safe and enjoyable time. First off this is not the time for small children and pets. Get them out of the room. They have no business there. If you are teaching young people, keep the group small and anyone not involved out of the way. I sweep the floors clean and have an uncluttered work area.

Also know before you cast, where you will stand, turn, and dump. Make sure there is nothing in the way of your movements.

Lead fumes need to be avoided. When I melt lead I work in the shop with windows open and the big double doors open. I also like a fan behind me, blowing the fumes out the door.

If you feel a headache, dizzy, light headed, or a slight upset stomach, go to fresh air. It also does not hurt to stop every so often and take a break outside in the fresh air.

Moisture is another danger when casting. Sweat on your forehead falling into the smelter can cause it to POP a large chunk of lead out. Wear a sweat band if necessary, and keep a towel handy to wipe your face if you are prone to perspire. Wear long sleeves shirts and pants with good quality shoes. The last thing you want is a drop of hot lead landing on your shoe or pants leg....

Old 03-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought mine from a plumbing supply shop. Its been about 10 years ago i got 50 lbs for $21.70 including tax. I haven't checked to see todays price. I might passout from sticker shock![&o]
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

About $2/lb when you can find it.

Quick Reply: making bullets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.