Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

making bullets

Old 03-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making bullets

http://cannonscastbullets.tripod.com/cannonscustomcastbullets/id1.html
Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 PM

I don't think that is what I am looking for underclocked, I am wanting rifled slugs. They have the grooves in them, since the barrel is smooth, so that they spin just like if the barrel was rifled. I think that is slug like you would shoot with a sabot out of a rifled shotgun barrel.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew that! Seriously I did, but I couldn't find anything that big in a rifled slug.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey QT2K5, as you can imagine I've been looking also and following this post. I have a Lyman " Blackpowder Handbook & Loading Manual". There is a small catalog in the back that offers moulds. One of them and I'll quote says, "Shotgun slug moulds Available in 12 or 20 gauge, these moulds cast perfect hollowbase slugs which do not require rifling." I will give Lyman a call tomorrow and let you know what they have to say about them. Or you can the # is 1-860-632-2020. Also Doug S. turned me on to using AA wads, just regular reloading shotgun wads. they worked great with #6 shot for my turkey loads. I will try them with a sabot rifled slug for a 12ga. I can get them at a local gunshop that is heavy on reloading supplies. I'll let you know how they work out. It will be next weekend at the soonest since this weekend I'll be chasin' birds. Good luck with the search and let me know what you find out.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys interested in getting into casting might want to look at building your own melting pot http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5126 [:-]

Or read up on Goatlips' speed casting method.. http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

Old 03-30-2006, 09:42 AM

I may be wrong rookie, but i don't think you want to shoot a sabot out of a smooth bore. When buying shotgun slugs, the saboted slugs are for the rifled barrels only, and then they sell the rifled slugs for smooth bore shot guns. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything, I just htink you will get poor performance. let me know what you hear from lymans
Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I just got off the phone with Lyman, These are not what you are looking for. The mould says slugs that do not require rifling. The customer service guy said they don't have to have rifling, however they are more accurate with it. So perhaps something else. Black Jack Hill offers a .69 minie as well as .69 RBs. I think I will try them first and see how they do. That is all for now. Its time to go load my truck for my turkey trip. We're leaving at 2:30AM to get to the property by 5:00. I hope to post BP turkey pics on 4/1/06. BTW Doug S. has a way to make a rear sight for the Pedersoli without any modifications to the gun itself. Just thought you might want to know.