Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

making bullets

Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making bullets

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

My dentist gives me mine...when they x-ray your teeth...and insert that plastic thing in your mouth...there is a small sheet of lead inside to block the x-rays...I get it for free, because he doesn't want to send it to the land fill...I make round balls out of it, can scratch it with my finger nail and it flattens when it hits a deer...works for me...Good Luck
My dad was a dentist. We used the x-ray lead but i must tell you, it was no where close to pure. We once casted fishing weights, the kind you crimp with your fingers, and we couldn't crimp them without the use of pliers. Even so, itworks for bullets, only it won't perform the same as lead. We used it to pour maxi-balls. They punch right through without much expansion. Still killed deer deader than dead, though.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-28-2006, 05:10 PM

sounds like it is cheaper and easier to just buy your bullets.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

sounds like it is cheaper and easier to just buy your bullets.
If you can get some free lead, then casting your bullets is the way to go. I really like the roundball I cast. They shoot as well as any of the store bought. Well maybe the store bought are a little better but you'd hate to live on the difference.

Some of the projectiles I cast like the .458 405 grain FP shoot real well out of the rifles and the down range power of a pure lead bullet is still hard to beat.

If a person was forced to purchase the lead, then you might be right. It might be just as cost effective to purchase them pre made.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one reason I've been sorta pushin' Bullshop. When we get him whipped into shape on these muzzleloaders and making a line of good bullets for same, we'll all be in business (even some of us that already cast). His prices are fantastic and quality of the one type bullet of his that I've tried is exceptional.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some might think its easier to buy your own bullets...I started muzzleloading in 1975...Back then you got into it because of a love of
history and wanting to learn how they used to do things you made alot of the equipment that you used...It doesn't take me more than a couple of hours to run a hundred balls or so....only cost is the mold and the gas I use on the outdoor grill...I cast out of a tin can and made a dipper, flux with SnoSeal...And, I have run my own tests and my guns prefer cast balls over swaged...I feel that they are softer and arbutrate easier...I shoot a .40 and a .54, haven't shot a store bought ball in 25 or 30 years.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:53 AM

Well, the reason I was asking is because I am planning to buy a muzzleloading shotgun, and would like to shoot rifled slugs. I have been t old they make molds for them, but I have n ever seen them for sale anywhere.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could mold round balls to match the caliber, with the right ball and patch you'd be in business.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

Well, the reason I was asking is because I am planning to buy a muzzleloading shotgun, and would like to shoot rifled slugs. I have been t old they make molds for them, but I have n ever seen them for sale anywhere.
LEE Molds might make them. I know they make molds for slugs. Whether they would work in a muzzleloading shotgun I have no idea.

In my smoothbore I shoot a ball. A .62 caliber (20 gauge)ball is 324 grains. If you're getting a 12 gauge shotgun which I think is around a 75 caliber, you will be shooting a much larger ball then I would be. Guessing, somewhere in the 500 grain range. Would a slug be bigger then that?

Keep us posted what you're up to. It sounds interesting...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think TooTall and Marshall over at DWBs are also crazy like that. They would probably know. I could be wrong about TooTall, could have been someone else.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

AINT THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GO BUT I HAVE USED A BOX OF CHEAP ROUND BALLS AND MELTED THEM DOWN INTO MAXI BALLS. AT LEAST I KNOW THERE PURE.

Quick Reply: making bullets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.