Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thanks for the tip Doug S.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Thanks for the tip Doug S.

Thank you Doug S. I got a bag of AA wads and will be shooting them from now on. What a moneysaver and really good patterns too. They are a bit tight to load but well worth the effort. Also I've found a great over shot card. I bought a 20 pack of 3/4" felt furniture pads at Walmart for $2.27. I leave the paper over the adhesive and put them in felt side down. Its a good firm fit and never had a load work loose and I used up the whole pack. They beat the heck out of those flimsy cards that come with shot cups. I also tried making some out of cardboard with OK results but I'll be using these hardware dept. felt pads from now on. At 11 cents each they won't break the bank. I really appreciate the tip on the wads. 250 for $5.00 compared to 20 for $15.00 of the made for ML shot cups. Nothing left to do now but kill a turkey on 4-1-06, opening day. Then I'll work up a PRB load and then a buckshot load, and then.......
Old 03-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thanks for the tip Doug S.

Why not personal/private message (or) email Doug instead of a discussionthread here?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because I know there are other people interested in the information in this post besides the thanks. You are right, I could have e-mailed or PMed Doug S. But it would just mean more typing for me because I would have posted all the other info anyway. I was lazy. Sorry if I wasted your time.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Txrookie,

Thanks for the thanks and I agree with you, I learn alot from these boards just by reading what others are talking about.Yeah those wads can be a little difficult to load when using a tight choke, I kind of twist them in on a full choke and the knotches on the choke tube can stillcause trouble. Don't forget to load them up with lube, really cuts down on the fouling. For wads you might try the link below or (google) Blue & Gray Wads.

http://www.octobercountry.com/products2.php?categoryid=380

When you get into shooting round balls let me know, I have an easy to make rear sight for that gun and it doesn't require any modifications to the gun itself(held on by just the tang screw) I'll post some pics.

Also, if you are interested in a great speed loader for when you are using chokes like IC(wider and easier to start the wads), take an empty 12ga shot shell and cut off the brass. Put a lubed AA wad in it so that the bases just sticks out of the end of the shell that was crimpted. Add your shot and over powder wad and it all stays together in a nice little package. Charge your gun, put in the over powder wad and then stick the end of your speedloader that has the wad end sticking out in the bbl, use a short starter to push on the overshot wad and the whole thing should go in. I made a large diameter shortstarter from a dowel and golfball for this, used a .45LC cartridge case for a brass tip on the dowel, since it is wider than a normal oneit doesn't bend the overshot wadtoo much when you push in the load.

BTW, did you get my answere to the PM you sent me the other week? I did respond but it doesn't show up anywhere in my sent PM folder. I'm just wondering if I "fat fingered" (goofed)the reply..

Doug