Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Well I'm a new BP owner!

Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Well I'm a new BP owner!

Well fellas, I as new as it gets to the Black Powder world. I have been reading alot of the posts here and went out today and purchased my first muzzleloader! I'm pretty fired up.
I went with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, Flintlock w/1:66 twist! I wanted to go for the roundball right from the start as well as the Flintlock. Some said its harder to start out with but I figured what the heck. After more research it was the right move on my part.
The only bummer is I have to wait a week for it to come in! I will be getting supplied up in the next week and start shooting very soon.
I just wanted to thank some of you guys for all your knowledge, helping me and not even knowing it....Thanks!

I'll give some updates as I progress! And I'm SURE I'll have a million questions as well! Cheers!

Joe b!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Well I'm a new BP owner!

Well you might want to tell your wife that you
are now addicted to ML. And that approx. every
payday for a long long long time you will have to
have a fix ie. powder, bullets, patches, lube, range
rod, possibilities bag, cleaning supplies etc etc.
Congrats on the new ML.
Good shooting & God Bless
Danny
Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the world of muzzleloading! That is a great rifle you picked out! What caliber is it? I like the whole traditional thing to.Good luck and give us some pics if you get the chance.

Kirk
Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: AQUATECH

Well you might want to tell your wife that you
are now addicted to ML. And that approx. every
payday for a long long long time you will have to
have a fix ie. powder, bullets, patches, lube, range
rod, possibilities bag, cleaning supplies etc etc.
Congrats on the new ML.
Good shooting & God Bless
Danny
Good thing I'm Divorced!!!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick, short strokes on the cleaning patches.

Have a blast! and congrats.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Welcome to the world of muzzleloading! That is a great rifle you picked out! What caliber is it? I like the whole traditional thing to. Good luck and give us some pics if you get the chance.

Kirk
Thanks Kirk, they are a fine looking gun. I've only heard good things about them! I went with the .50 caliber! Seemed like the smart way to go since I'm new to the sport! Easy access to the supplies!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the sport. Flintlcocks are not all that hard to tame. I got a Lyman Trade Rifle and have been teaching myself all the tricks. They really are a lot of fun to shoot and the accuracy will really surprise you. The main thing now isstopping yourself from buying another rifle. Maybe even two or three, or more...

The forum is agreat sources of information on black powderrifles and loads. When I have a flintlock problem I usually look to Roundball. He really has a great appreciation for the art offlintlocks and knows his stuff.

The waiting is the worst part, but when it gets here get some GOEX BLACK POWDER and have some fun.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats.....even though alot of guys say not to start on a flinter.....i..like you...did anyways....i didnt have the money or the need for anything but a flinter...we have a special flintlock deer season...i wanted a rifle for that...theres some guys here that are absolutely awesome...i dont know it all...but any questions post em...we can surely get it answered...flinting with a good gun and a good lock(which you bought!) is not as hard as some make it seem......around here 98% of the people make flintlocks sound to be impossible to hit anything with...and make them sound so unreliable ect ect...but thats because of the special 3wk deer season..flintlock or bow only..people think oh i can shot a flintlock...pick it up and go hunting....and thats why the roomers go around this state...buy some good sharp black english flints....and some Goex black powder like said already...you can shoot 3fg or 2fg in the powder....i perfer to prime with 4fg...the finer the easier it ignits...but dont load yourmain charge with 4fg.....TC actually recomends only 2fg for 50cals...but i have shot 3fg ok....it didnt make a diffrence in accuracy or lock time....keep yer powder dry and shoot straight!! good luck......any quetions or anything post them....dont be afraid....i beat these guys to death before i started shooting!!now i need to get a stinkin deer to cooperate!!! i think my rifle has a curse or something!! itsonly been like..4 or 5 seasons now i think!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

BowHuntingFool, welcome to the forume.
don/t let all the talk fool you RB is easy and fun. Lee

Old 03-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I bet in a couple months you will be Flinthunting fool.

Congrats on the new weapon!!

Quick Reply: Well I'm a new BP owner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.