Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Mag 3

Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Black Mag 3

Have any of you had the chance to shoot Black Mag 3 yet? What is it like?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Black Mag 3

It is very clean, much more than 777. It also gives higher velocity than equal amount of 777. I also think it works better with heaver bullets, 250 gr.and up, also better results with longer barrels, 26 inch and up. I had a little trouble getting it to produce the same vel. from shot to shot, using a chronograph. I have weighed out some charges, versus by vol., and I am going to try to try that out this weekend.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

I am on my 4th pound,and I like it a lot better than 777 in most respects.It works well with bullets 250 and up.I did have good luck with my 1:48 sidelock,with a 240/.44 XTP,but only shot a few times.Using heavier loads(110 to 120 gr) I had a problem blowing gas past the sabot with the 200gr Shockwave and 200gr XTP in MMP 40/50 sabot.I think this is due to the slower initial burn rate.I have used 250 and 300gr XTP's ,250gr SST's,and 250gr Nosler's with no sign of blowby on the sabots using 100 gr loads. Other people have come to the same conclusions. Use heavier bullets and moderate charges and you will be pleased.However,as they say,your results may differ.

Charlie
Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much doese it smoke?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot a pound of it off. I liked it. Clean to shoot. Excellent power. Shot in all rifles well. Accuracy with a wide range of projectiles was excellent. Ignition was excellent. Very easy to clean up after.

Cost per pound was the real set back. I can put up with fowling and get the same accuracy at a much more cost effective price. If this powder was cheaper, it would be a much better powder to use. But to be honest, that pound of powder really went fast. I started shooting it on a monday and by late wednesday it was gone. I think that's because I was shooting more do to the lack of need for swabbing all the time.

As for how much it smokes, I never really paid attention all that much. I never condsider that a standard need for a powder. The question I ask myself always is, would I buy this powder again... NO! I will shoot Goex 3f or Triple Se7en.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Sharp-It smokes some,about the same as 777.No sulphur smell though.best thing is cleanup.it leaves a light tan residue that cleans up with cold water.One wet patch,2 or 3 dry,an oil patch,and done.

Charlie
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot it and used it to harvest one elk on the last hunt I got drawn for. I really like the powder. 777 makes too much of a crud ring in my Omega and this powder seems to be made for the Omega. Longer barrel and I shoot 300gr. bullets and the results are super. No fouling, no crud ring, multiple shots capability with no swab between and the smoke is light and is really just water vapor (steam). I agree the price is the only draw back but since I don't get to shoot as much as I would like the powder lasts me quite a while. I bought four pounds and now I wish I had bought more.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the cleanup is about like APP. I am going to try Goex, APP, and I am trying Pyrodex Select right now. If I run across KIK or some other powders in my travel I will try those to. But for now I just want to try Goex, App, and Pyrodex Select. I am 99% sure Goex and Pyrodex will shoot good. I am not sure about APP. I would like how the cleanup is though. When BM3 goes off can you still see through the smoke? With APP, Goex, and Pyrodex It is kind of hard to see through the smoke. How much doese is run a pound to?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

I am on my 4th pound,and I like it a lot better than 777 in most respects.It works well with bullets 250 and up.I did have good luck with my 1:48 sidelock,with a 240/.44 XTP,but only shot a few times.Using heavier loads(110 to 120 gr) I had a problem blowing gas past the sabot with the 200gr Shockwave and 200gr XTP in MMP 40/50 sabot.I think this is due to the slower initial burn rate.I have used 250 and 300gr XTP's ,250gr SST's,and 250gr Nosler's with no sign of blowby on the sabots using 100 gr loads. Other people have come to the same conclusions. Use heavier bullets and moderate charges and you will be pleased.However,as they say,your results may differ.

Charlie

What do you look for to tell if you have blowback.

James M.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Martin- I get streaks up the outside of the sabot where the gas is leaking by before the sabot base fully expands. This happens every shot,and accuracy is not too good. I believe the heavier bullets cause the sabot to expand quicker and I see no blowby on the outside. I do not see the streaks when I shoot 777 with the same loads.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Black Mag 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.